Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, we thought so, too.

Used to have a mama that stayed away from the buildings and fed in the yard and wasn't afraid of us a bit, because she didn't mess with anything. We could almost walk right up to her. Riding mower could get within 10' to 15' of her! By the time she became a great grandma, the little ones were totally out of control. They were into EVERYTHING!! So very destructive, and couldn't care about anything but themselves! ...Sorta reminds me of the newest 2-legged generation. *lol*

Sorry Grant, no 'like' from me on this one.....at least not officially. :tongue3:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
"You talkin to me"? Yea,you.:tongue3:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These guys are in the open space lands and not a problem to agriculture. They'll never develop anything here, but their prairie dog town will expand, so about every two years this guy with a big vacuum extracting truck comes and sucks so many prairie dogs out their holes. Inside the tank of the truck is a trampoline like taunt fabric the prairie dogs are casted towards to absorb the impact as they fill up with extracted prairie dogs. Some of them are relocated elsewhere and others are slated for the Denver zoo as Hyena food. We also have a Birds of Prey Rehabilitation facility and the injured hawks, eagles and owls are also fed some of the surplus prairie dogs. In the natural elements of this prairie dog colony, I've watched birds of prey and coyotes manage this colony also. In other prairie dog towns I've seen the burrowing owls find a place to live. I really like the fact of this Boulder county Colorado where I live is a lot about preservation of some natural areas and not all totally tax generating developments.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, would love to see one of those in operation some time!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a sing along.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I was actually wondering how they can get enough suction to suck the critters out. Do the hoses end up getting wedged in somewhere and turning the entire tunnel complex into an extension of the hose??

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I was actually wondering how they can get enough suction to suck the critters out. Do the hoses end up getting wedged in somewhere and turning the entire tunnel complex into an extension of the hose??
I think they just create a vacuum from one portal to the other? Prairie dogs build more than one portal to their home. Any prairie dog caught in the suction can't resist the higher pressure coming in from the hole opposite of of where the suction hose is applied.

Attachments

• 33e8c3b4161c9038a86383d0fdee8d20--collective-nouns-prairie-dogs.jpg
    33e8c3b4161c9038a86383d0fdee8d20--collective-nouns-prairie-dogs.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 42

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread