Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Went out to look at an Eagle's nest Tuesday. My wife seems to think there are eggs in the nest (I'm thinking it may be a bit early).

When I got there, there was a large hawk that kept moving through the trees near the nest. The female eagle would not leave the nest, but moved around inside peeking at me over the top.

Question is, wouldn't it be a bit early for eggs or a brood? She sure was worried about me ... and maybe that large hawk sneaking around.

You can see her peeking over the edge of the nest just left of center. Only the top of her head is visible. No sign of her mate while I was there, but didn't stay too long as I obviously upset her.

DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup! She is surely setting on eggs already. The only bird that nests earlier is the Great Horned Owl.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's pretty cool.

Have a look at this link as it will give you a guideline to the eagle nesting season.

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/pdf/nest-seasons.pdf

Although the short answer is yes, there could be two eggs there already.

Wow, didn't realize that and thanks for the link!

Is it close enough to keep an eye on her progress?

GOD Bless

Chris

She is almost 45 minute drive away. Weird thing is she has built her nest within 100 feet of a state highway, in the apex of a curve so her nest is visible for a long distance each way. Worry about all the "good ol' boys" around this area trying to harm them.

After my wife told me about the nest, I had to go see for myself.

Her nest is about half way between my home and the Mississippi River, and they seem to be coming farther and farther west each year which I love! We have another nest about 15 minutes away, but it requires a walk of almost half a mile to get close enough for pics. We have a few pairs of eagles around here now, but for most of the last 40 years there were none.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the awesome photos, I look forward to your updates. We have a pair here in DC that has a webcam. Do you have names for the pair?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, didn't realize that and thanks for the link!

She is almost 45 minute drive away. Weird thing is she has built her nest within 100 feet of a state highway, in the apex of a curve so her nest is visible for a long distance each way. Worry about all the "good ol' boys" around this area trying to harm them.

After my wife told me about the nest, I had to go see for myself.

Her nest is about half way between my home and the Mississippi River, and they seem to be coming farther and farther west each year which I love! We have another nest about 15 minutes away, but it requires a walk of almost half a mile to get close enough for pics. We have a few pairs of eagles around here now, but for most of the last 40 years there were none.

There are 4 nest sites around here within a 10 mile radius,2 are quite difficult to get to,oh ya,one Great Horned Owl too.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There are 4 nest sites around here within a 10 mile radius,2 are quite difficult to get to,oh ya,one Great Horned Owl too.

We have more nests around here, I'm just unable to get to the areas where they are.

One of my best friends was fishing a few months back, and the Fish & Game folks had been shadowing him along the river (must have been a slow day). He was pulling in a nice bass when one of the local eagles decided to relieve him of it. The fish jumped and the eagle flew off with a nice meal. Fish & Game folks left him alone the rest of the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions