kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a queen size burled lodge pole pine. I use blind scribed mortise tenon joints where the cross pieces and side rails join the posts.....The tenons are round for the cross pieces. None of them are visible, but I tried to show a detail of the joint where the side rail joins the post......Made a rectangular tenon by basically carving a 2x4 on each end of the side rail. The rectangular mortises are made with a drill and chisel. A 1/2" lag bolt pulls it tight against the post. The rectangular tenon prevents a swivel action, and the scribed shoulder prevents the head and foot from folding in.

Being a simpleton myself, I obviously looked at the photos first. As I gazed across the beauty of the natural wood grain, I kept wondering how you had chosen to make the mortise for that tenon. .....Then I actually do the reading and OH!, you already answered -- you did it the hard way! Yessir there Ron, you're a true craftsman!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! You are an artist in wood, my friend.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Grant, Ive seen Utah Juniper from Utah and Wyoming that has similar characteristics, but the wood is more of a red color, like Red Cedar.......Have also seen some from Colorado that is closer to what we had in Oregon.......

Here's a couple of before and afters....I had more raw wood pics, but lost a ton of pictures when a one of my computers crashed.

Do you sandblast to debark them Ron?

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
.... all the old thread crap and than this pops up. I’m glad about that.
Do you have any more pics of your work from the last couple years?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful work ronwoodcraft!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful craftsmanship and a keen eye Ron. I sure hope your feeling whole again and have felt like creating again.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread