tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Iowa helping my sister clean out my moms place in order to get her moved into assisted living. I hauled a lot of stuff to the thrift store and made one run to a landfill. These I took in Nebraska. One is an Eagle I saw sitting in a corn field and the other is the sun setting along the Platte river somewhere in central Nebraska?. I got home at 10:45 pm and I only stopped gas and the other thing that merits a stop on a long drive. Wasn't bad going west, but last week, it was no picnic driving in the freezing rain heading to my moms. There were a few like always travelers who don't use caution and in the ditch they went.

Attachments

• trip 022518 1.jpg
    trip 022518 1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 67
  • trip 022518 2.jpg
    trip 022518 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 69

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in Iowa helping my sister clean out my moms place in order to get her moved into assisted living. I hauled a lot of stuff to the thrift store and made one run to a landfill. These I took in Nebraska. One is an Eagle I saw sitting in a corn field and the other is the sun setting along the Platte river somewhere in central Nebraska?. I got home at 10:45 pm and I only stopped gas and the other thing that merits a stop on a long drive. Wasn't bad going west, but last week, it was no picnic driving in the freezing rain heading to my moms. There were a few like always travelers who don't use caution and in the ditch they went.

I'll take a guess and say she's picking up stuff to spiffy up the nest.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been through there many times, I lived in Karney, Nebraska City and Lincoln, Nebraska, also lived in Ft Dodge, Ia and lived up in Mankato, Minnesota and Minot North Dakota as well.

Some bad winters too.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take a guess and say she's picking up stuff to spiffy up the nest.
Makes sense. She was like, what the heck you want. I was thinking she was getting ready to fly away, so I only took a couple pictures and drove off, so as to leave her alone. There was a 2nd eagle in the field also. It was a little further away.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been through there many times, I lived in Karney, Nebraska City and Lincoln, Nebraska, also lived in Ft Dodge, Ia and lived up in Mankato, Minnesota and Minot North Dakota as well.

Some bad winters too.
Yeah they do. Last Thursday I got going from York, Neb. I had to drive pretty cautiously from there all the way to Des Moines.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove through many blizzards in that area, butt deep in snow many times. I use to go to Colorado for vacation often when I lived in Nebraska. Lived in Denver for a year too.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove through many blizzards in that area, butt deep in snow many times. I use to go to Colorado for vacation often when I lived in Nebraska. Lived in Denver for a year too.
The worst blizzard I've ever encountered was from Raton, NM to Las Vegas, NM. Thank God I had a CB. I got in with a little convoy of big trucks and the leader could barely see the road and I don't think we broke 15 mph from Spinger, NM to 20 miles north of LV. I know the NMHP had just closed I-25 just moments after we entered I-25 from Raton. Wished I'd a taken a picture of my truck at the motel in LV. You could hardly tell it was a vehicle with all the compacted snow and icicles hanging off of it. Someone at the motel asked me where in hell have you been? Down in LV it was like a nice cool cloudless evening.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes sense. She was like, what the heck you want. I was thinking she was getting ready to fly away, so I only took a couple pictures and drove off, so as to leave her alone. There was a 2nd eagle in the field also. It was a little further away.

That pic looks like it may be a female..the other one was most likely the male.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pic looks like it may be a female..the other one was most likely the male.
I did see another pair in the trees along the Plate. Saw maybe 4 other lone Eagles flying along the way. I definitely think the Bald Eagle numbers have really improved in the last 30 years. Most I ever saw at one time was on the Mississippi. I'd say there was maybe 30 to 40 of them circling and diving at fish behind a big river barge as it cleared a path through the ice pack in the river.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst blizzard I've ever encountered was from Raton, NM to Las Vegas, NM. Thank God I had a CB. I got in with a little convoy of big trucks and the leader could barely see the road and I don't think we broke 15 mph from Spinger, NM to 20 miles north of LV. I know the NMHP had just closed I-25 just moments after we entered I-25 from Raton. Wished I'd a taken a picture of my truck at the motel in LV. Your could hardly tell it was a vehicle with all the compacted snow and icicles hanging off of it. Someone at the motel asked me where in hell have you been?

LOL yep been there. Most snow to fall on me was 38 inches, blizzard started on a Friday night and stop sunday evening,you could not see my car or any car in the parking lot, couldn't even see a car antenna except for the long whips one on vans. We had snow drifts over 20 foot high.

I drove through one blizzard from Kearney Ne to Columbia Mo, 30-35 mph was about the average speed, over 440 mile, was on the way home for a vacation and was afraid they would close I-80 and I would be stuck so I wanted to get out of the area. a normal 7 hour drive turned into almost 16 hours.

Use to work for phone company on the road installing central offices. Roommate and I were transferred to Tampa Fla from Lincoln Ne end of January of 1977, was leaving on a Friday night but it started snowing so we decided to party and wait till Sat to leave, it was still snowing Saturday so we decided to get out of the area, damn storm follow us the entire way to Tampa Fl. We tried to take I-80 to I-35 to I-70 then I-70 to I-75 but kept running into closed interstates , they closed portions of I-80, I-70 and I-40, we ended up going down to New Orleans to get to Tampa, it snowed in Tampa and even had flurries in Miami. Friends in Tampa told us "you missed the snow", we said no we didn't, we drove almost 1800 miles with detours, 90% of it in snow. LOL..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread