WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, actually, my grandson had basketball tournaments this past weekend. So, that is when I first learned how to use this thing. I came home last night and took a picture of the front that was bringing winter back to my area. Not that impressive, but I want you to get an idea of how far the tree pic is. I was standing on my deck and zoomed to the tree across the pond. Then I messed around with the generic editing that is on my computer. I can't remember for sure what I did. I think it was enhance and sharpen and increased the color. I remember I did use vignette. Anyways, you guys are in charge of training me up.

View attachment DSCN0467.JPG

View attachment DSCN0469.JPG

View attachment DSCN0469 (2).JPG

I still would like to get a lap top with more working memory and a better photo editing program. I am open to suggestions.
thanks for looking! WD

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a zoom. Not sure what you should get for photo editing support, as I only use what I have that was free. Transporting them to my smartphone to edit seems okay. What I like about any camera is just getting outside and using it even if I don't take a picture I'm still enjoying photography.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah wow, that is a zoom! What kind of camera did you get? Chadeaux can teach you a whole lot about editing photos, so check out his posts. I'm pretty much the 'one click photo fix' type of guy.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck of a zoom. Not sure what you should get for photo editing support, as I only use what I have that was free. Transporting them to my smartphone to edit seems okay. What I like about any camera is just getting outside and using it even if I don't take a picture I'm still enjoying photography.

Yeah wow, that is a zoom! What kind of camera did you get? Chadeaux can teach you a whole lot about editing photos, so check out his posts. I'm pretty much the 'one click photo fix' type of guy.

I seemed to recall Worldtalker said he liked his Nikon 700. I had my son-in-law on the hunt for anything better than my powershot. But a few weeks ago, while in the middle of taking pics, it died. So I went from wanting to needing. Mr. WD laughs at that! I "need" a camera. Haha! I ended up with a Nikon B700 Coolpix from Walmart. It was something like $406.00. I have an old android phone that I will probably use for my insitu finds. I wouldn't want to fall in the creek with the Nikon. lol. So. I have been trying to learn from you all. Funny thing is when I was at my home computer, that editing looked pretty good. Now that I am at work, not so much. But you all have been an inspiration for me. I am trying to learn.

Thanks for the replies, tamrock and RGINN!

Oh BTW, I was pretty much a couch potato till I got on here last year. You all are responsible for getting me to enjoy the great outdoors also. Thank You!

WD

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome zoom and may it help you take some great photos. Just like a metal detector it’s always the person using the tool that makes the different sin want results you get in the end.

6A5C27A4-1285-4017-882F-2585D388F060.jpeg

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I still would like to get a lap top with more working memory and a better photo editing program. I am open to suggestions.
thanks for looking! WD

One of the best products on the market is ... not on the market, it's actually free. The Gimp http://www.gimp.org is very good, but the interface is a bit wonky to a photoshop / photoshop clone addict like me. However, everything you need is there except photoshop filters. I hardly ever use filters, so that doesn't affect me. You can get better effects from layers, adjustment layers, blendif, and patience than from any filter.

That is definitely the best part, getting out and looking. Takes away my stresses --- almost zen like (for lack of a more familiar expression).

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
For instance, here are the layers I used to adjust the image at the top of the page:

dark_skies_20180307_layers.jpg

The bottom layer is the original image. Above that, I added an empty raster layer and filled it with black. That layer is labeled "Raster 1".

Then I turned that into a masked layer. Filled the mask layer with black (can only fill mask with black, white or grey) and then painted the areas I wanted to affect white.

Then the top layer named "Group - Raster 1", I double clicked on the layer, and chose the blend if mode. On the bottom layer, protected the lighter colors up to the point where the details began to show through the clouds. The "texture" so that they were just darkened in the already dark areas.

Here's what I got (oh, and I smudged out the power lines):

dark_skies_20180307.jpg

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the windows 10 editing software. The only thing I don't like about it is I can't resize my pictures. I have to save them then open them in another program (I use Paint) to resize them for posting on the forums I am a member of.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Once again...."Once you go Mac, you NEVER go back!" :tongue3:

LOL!!

Do you know why apple decided to go with the name "I Phone" and I Pad"? They started life with a different, more descriptive name. The reason it was changed was because "Incompatible" just didn't have the same sexy ring as "I", which is a very important letter for millennials.

Sorry, just had to bring that out.

Be well.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome zoom and may it help you take some great photos. Just like a metal detector it’s always the person using the tool that makes the different sin want results you get in the end.

View attachment 1560565

Thanks, WaterScoop. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. :tongue3: Both detector and camera are new.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the best products on the market is ... not on the market, it's actually free. The Gimp http://www.gimp.org is very good, but the interface is a bit wonky to a photoshop / photoshop clone addict like me. However, everything you need is there except photoshop filters. I hardly ever use filters, so that doesn't affect me. You can get better effects from layers, adjustment layers, blendif, and patience than from any filter.

That is definitely the best part, getting out and looking. Takes away my stresses --- almost zen like (for lack of a more familiar expression).

For instance, here are the layers I used to adjust the image at the top of the page:

View attachment 1560605

The bottom layer is the original image. Above that, I added an empty raster layer and filled it with black. That layer is labeled "Raster 1".

Then I turned that into a masked layer. Filled the mask layer with black (can only fill mask with black, white or grey) and then painted the areas I wanted to affect white.

Then the top layer named "Group - Raster 1", I double clicked on the layer, and chose the blend if mode. On the bottom layer, protected the lighter colors up to the point where the details began to show through the clouds. The "texture" so that they were just darkened in the already dark areas.

Here's what I got (oh, and I smudged out the power lines):

View attachment 1560609

I've been trying to pay attention to your mini lessons. I think the best thing you said was to just experiment. I'm a hands on learner at the school of hard knocks. Lol! I'm bookmarking your threads so I can find them easier!
BTW could you erase the lines for real? The electric company wouldn't budge on that one! The good thing about them, though, is we get a front row seat watching the king Fisher. He's all over those lines!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the windows 10 editing software. The only thing I don't like about it is I can't resize my pictures. I have to save them then open them in another program (I use Paint) to resize them for posting on the forums I am a member of.

I seen you on one. I hang in Christian one. I read a post that if you use your phone for pics, email them to yourself. It asks what size and choose medium. Then they're within the size limit. Makes it easier for me.

The software you are using is what I referred as generic. I'm learning it, but I'm not warming up to it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot help with technology, I am proudly old school

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again...."Once you go Mac, you NEVER go back!" :tongue3:

LOL!!

Do you know why apple decided to go with the name "I Phone" and I Pad"? They started life with a different, more descriptive name. The reason it was changed was because "Incompatible" just didn't have the same sexy ring as "I", which is a very important letter for millennials.

Sorry, just had to bring that out.

Be well.

My son-in-law is really pushing Mac. I want to see them before I buy. The Apple store is too far away. I was talking to Mr Wrightdigger about it. He thinks I've got enough new stuff. Lol! He's bringing home his old shop laptop and see if it will work.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tell him to give the old one to his groupie

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh no I can't, not after the groupie remark. Still laughing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread