60 years ago.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I got out of the Navy I got a summer job packing mules in the southern Sierra Nevada mountains.
Banner outlet 1.jpg
This is Banner peak, right around 14,000 feet. The stream is the middle fork of the San Joaquin river, which is the outlet to Thousand Island lake. Timber line is right at 10,500 feet.
Shadow Lake.jpg
This is Shadow Lake, to the right are Banner and Ritter Mountains, both over 14,000. The outlet of the lake flows into the middlefork of the San Joaquin River. I think Kodak must have made at least a million dollars selling film to people just to take pictures of this scene.
Lake outlet.jpg
This is the outlet to Shadow Lake. Don't remember who the guy on the horse is. Its been a long time since I took that photo.
trail at cold creek.jpg
This is the trail at Cold Creek. The first guy through there every morning, there were bear tracks on the trail, and the horses could smell it, which kind of boogered them. The horse I was riding, when he came to a bend in the trail, would come to a complete stop, and then it was kind of like he would unzip his neck, without moving his body, he would extend his neck, then look around the corner. I imagine that if he spotted the bear, I would have been involved in a wreck. Anyhow, that never happened. I carried a tin cup on my saddle. When we crossed the creek, I'd lean down and scoop up a drink of water, up stream from the crossing. That water was flowing, and had to be right at 32 degrees. Really good stuff. It was a fun job, but didn't pay much. I think I got $18 a day. Don't remember for sure.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! If i do the math near right that would make you about OLD!:laughing7: But, I got out of the Navy 45 years ago so I'm almost right there with you.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pictures. Bet the air up there was more clear back then.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome photos! That looks like a job with benefits. The one with the guy on the horse looks like it would make a great postcard. 60 yrs = B4WD :laughing9:

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! If i do the math near right that would make you about OLD!:laughing7: But, I got out of the Navy 45 years ago so I'm almost right there with you.
If you use the new math, the answer can be anything I want it to be. But if you use last century math, that comes out to be 80 years.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
packing mules? how many could you pack to a box?

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
When I got out of the Navy I got a summer job packing mules in the southern Sierra Nevada mountains.
View attachment 1561279
This is Banner peak, right around 14,000 feet. The stream is the middle fork of the San Joaquin river, which is the outlet to Thousand Island lake. Timber line is right at 10,500 feet.
View attachment 1561281
This is Shadow Lake, to the right are Banner and Ritter Mountains, both over 14,000. The outlet of the lake flows into the middlefork of the San Joaquin River. I think Kodak must have made at least a million dollars selling film to people just to take pictures of this scene.
View attachment 1561283
This is the outlet to Shadow Lake. Don't remember who the guy on the horse is. Its been a long time since I took that photo.
View attachment 1561285
This is the trail at Cold Creek. The first guy through there every morning, there were bear tracks on the trail, and the horses could smell it, which kind of boogered them. The horse I was riding, when he came to a bend in the trail, would come to a complete stop, and then it was kind of like he would unzip his neck, without moving his body, he would extend his neck, then look around the corner. I imagine that if he spotted the bear, I would have been involved in a wreck. Anyhow, that never happened. I carried a tin cup on my saddle. When we crossed the creek, I'd lean down and scoop up a drink of water, up stream from the crossing. That water was flowing, and had to be right at 32 degrees. Really good stuff. It was a fun job, but didn't pay much. I think I got $18 a day. Don't remember for sure.

Zoomed in, there are two on that horse. One may be a gal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread