Educate me what is it this type of rock

Ness

Apr 8, 2018
Henderson, NV
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 and Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a full time prospectors I would like to k ow what thisis P_20180408_165925_HDR_p.jpg P_20180408_165942_HDR_p.jpg P_20180408_170019_HDR_p.jpg P_20180408_170036_HDR_p.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Ness

Apr 8, 2018
Henderson, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am new to this forum but very excited to talk to all of you and learn This rock looks like nothing out there I think it's clay but looks volcanic it has gold pieces in it and they are small a bright orange color came off on my hands when I tried to clean it but it's dark red not orange. It weighs 6 pounds Dimentions are 6" by 5" by 4"it's brick red and has an emerald green hue on it and appears to go through it as well and has small traces of Crystal quartz. Thank you

Mdbri

Apr 8, 2018
Maryland ,next to D.C.
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Green might be copper sulfide,,it travels with quartzite, and gold. Looks like many bubbles like lava , but lava doesn’t rub off. At least none I touch overseas,my other off the cuff thought , due to many bubbles. , a slag of some type . But I’m tired , and I didn’t take geology,

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First welcome. It on first glance looks volcanic. A lot of times the area it came from is an indicator of what the item is. Certain areas of the country, mainly out west and in Hawaii still have extrusive volcanic materials around. Places like most of the East Coast, not. However intrusive volcanic minerals like granite and rhyolite and basalt can be found in the east.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Ness! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be the result of pyrometamorphism where a very hot rock, such as a magma plume or naturally ignited coal seam has altered the rock it came in contact with turning the rock into a natural clinker, much in the same way we make red bricks today. Some deposits have an economic value used as road aggregates or decorative landscape rock. Interstate 25 in northern Wyoming uses a lot of that type of rock from a large deposit in the concrete mix giving the interstate a red tint around Buffalo Wyoming.

Attachments

• buchite.jpg
    buchite.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 52

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would help to know the area of the country it was found in. Since you're new to the site, tamrock would be the best on ID'ing that.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would help to know the area of the country it was found in. Since you're new to the site, tamrock would be the best on ID'ing that.
well I don't always get it right. Indeed knowing the source of things is important. Still that piece could have traveled a distance as railroad ballast also. :dontknow:

OP
OP
N

Ness

Apr 8, 2018
Henderson, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you, it was found in Las Vegas, NV just outside of town. It was the only one there we looked around for most of the day finding crystal quartz and [quartz that looked like it dripped to the ground then formed but no other red rocks like this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Ness

Apr 8, 2018
Henderson, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you, it was found in Las Vegas NV. US just outside of town and it was all alone found lots of crystal quartz and [quartz that looked like it dripped to the ground then formed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread