Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The boss' nephew took the company truck over the weekend, and then didn't pick me up for work. So, got out and took a few pics while waiting for a ride to work this morning:

DSCN1577.JPG

This little flower didn't want her picture taken (flower on the right).
DSCN1572.JPG

DSCN1569.JPG

There's beauty in all creation . . . evidence of intelligent design.
DSCN1565.JPG

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Really sweet! I have those little daisy type wild flowers. Well, I will, when winter lets go. What is that last one?

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Really sweet! I have those little daisy type wild flowers. Well, I will, when winter lets go. What is that last one?

In Cajun French we call them Chadron ... good eating, if you like the taste of celery.

In English, they are called Thistles.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
In Cajun French we call them Chadron ... good eating, if you like the taste of celery.

In English, they are called Thistles.

No way! That's a thistle? You certainly transformed that painful beast into a work of art! :notworthy:. :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: .:icon_thumright: :wav:

I also didn't know it was edible. I want to try one. What part(s) do you eat?

P.S. you are teaching me French.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No way! That's a thistle? You certainly transformed that painful beast into a work of art! :notworthy:. :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: .:icon_thumright: :wav:

I also didn't know it was edible. I want to try one. What part(s) do you eat?

P.S. you are teaching me French.

First of all, I've never eaten one personally (I absolutely hate celery), but I had one guy in my crew (when I did construction) who kept them cleared out of our lumber yard. As I remember, he would strip down the stalk and eat that.

Here is the same thistle from a different angle
DSCN1567.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great shots!:occasion14:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to have to research it. I am on a quest to find all the edible plants I have on the farm. I've got raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, apples, and paw paws. It's just some good information to have. I'm not a big fan of celery either, but I don't know what the future may hold.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to have to research it. I am on a quest to find all the edible plants I have on the farm. I've got raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, apples, and paw paws. It's just some good information to have. I'm not a big fan of celery either, but I don't know what the future may hold.

HOPE for the best.PREPARE for the worst.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh, I hate thistle...I really do. We keep it under control in the pastures or anywhere we see on our property. It will cripple a cow if stepped on and bedded in the fleshy part of hoof. It has to be dug up and disposed of properly. My son stripped one and cut for me to taste, yes taste sorta like celery and crunchy. I'm not a celery eater, so not to my taste buds, He did say, that the Indians ate it all the time. I have a cousin who cuts up into salads.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice article, kinda makes me homesick ... not for what that area is now, but for what it was back when . . .

EDIT: Just a side note, not all Indians like it. You heard dat from a Member of the United Houma Nation.

Be well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Don't forget the Cattails ...

View attachment 1576203

Contrary to what Jeff Gordon might tell you, while parts are edible, they are not wild corn dogs. No amount of mustard will make them tasty.

If memory serves, you can make a sort of flour with the top part, and the roots are kind of potato like.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget the Cattails ...

View attachment 1576203

Contrary to what Jeff Gordon might tell you, while parts are edible, they are not wild corn dogs. No amount of mustard will make them tasty.

If memory serves, you can make a sort of flour with the top part, and the roots are kind of potato like.

what ELSE have I been doing wrong?

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good to see you're still kickin. So, are you still playing the banjo?

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not according to audience reaction

Top Member Reactions