Block Island, Rhode Island

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Block Island is about 10 square miles in size and is located about 12 miles south of the rest of Rhode Island. It's very natural, not commercialized and has a lot of great views. It was founded in 1614 and settled in 1661. Pirate Captain Kidd was known to stop there. Today there are approx. 1,000 year round residents on Block Island. This past Saturday my girlfriend and I took the ferry over for the day. The weather was perfect, sunny about 78 degrees, not humid and a nice breeze. We rented a moped for the morning to hit Mohegan's Bluff's and the lighthouses. Then we walked around Old Harbour hitting shops and eating places in the afternoon. The lighthouses were built in the 1800's. The Southeast lighthouse weighs 2,000 tons and had to be moved back a few hundred feet about 15 years ago because the cliff was eroding. It was a great day Saturday. Here are some pictures.

Glenn

Attachments

• Island.JPG
    Island.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 589
  • Old Harbour.JPG
    Old Harbour.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 631
  • Mohegan\'s Bluffs 1.JPG
    Mohegan\'s Bluffs 1.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 664
  • Mohegan\'s Bluffs 2.JPG
    Mohegan\'s Bluffs 2.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 853
  • Sailboat.JPG
    Sailboat.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 559
  • North Lighthouse.JPG
    North Lighthouse.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 638
  • Homes.JPG
    Homes.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 639
  • Hotel porch.JPG
    Hotel porch.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 531
  • Southeast Lighthouse.JPG
    Southeast Lighthouse.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 635
  • Shops.JPG
    Shops.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 2,303

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great place, thanks for the tour.

Fossis...............

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just happened to be reading about the Island a few nights ago. Now I know what it looks like. Thanks for posting. Look for all the treasure thats hidden there. :D
Burdie

rush30

Nov 8, 2006
Northeast, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Great pictures! I have family in N.H., We camped on a bluff overlooking the ocean in York Beach, Maine. It's a beautiful part of the country!

rush30

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice pic's!!!

Bran <><

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great pics and Thanks for taking us along with you. Looks like a nice place to spend the week.

narragansett

Jun 14, 2007
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
None yet
I live in Rhode Island and go to BI all the time. It is a great place to hang out, shop, party and go to the beach. Block Island rocks in the Summer, but is very quiet during the Winter months.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful photos, thanks!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! That is a beautiful location, thanks for sharing! Are there any restrictions on metal detecting on the beachs or anywhere? Imagine the possibilites!!

OP
OP
Glenn-RI

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
Hi everyone. It was my pleasure posting the pictures. Block Island is a beautiful place. On a clear day with low humidity, the scenic views from just about anywhere on the island are great.

SeabeeRon, I'm not sure of the restrictions on metal detecting on the island. Some of the beaches are public and some are private. Preservation societies are buying up a lot of the land to preserve the island. They probably don't allow detecting on land they own. I'm guessing that it would probably be allowed on state owned land otherwise permission would be needed. One sidenote for you. I noticed your Seabee logo. The origional Seabee logo was created about 25 miles north of Block Island at the Quonset Point Naval Base in North Kingstown, RI.

Glenn

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Glenn! I had heard that. I was stationed with guys who went through Quonset Point and Davisville, R.I. I was at the west coast Seabee base, Port Hueneme, CA., it is still in use. The big one nowadays is in Gulfport, Miss.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely gorgeous, Glenn! :)

What's the water temperature? I love to swim...but it looks cold. 8)

OP
OP
Glenn-RI

Glenn-RI

Sep 22, 2005
Cranston
The water temp is about 70 degrees. That's about as high as it gets around here in the ocean.

Glenn

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning pics, beautiful place...can't get any better than this. I love the sail boat pic the best.

;) RR

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Glenn,
Great post, thanks.
I totally agree with River Rat, that sailboat pic is a beauty!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread