Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped right above Yarmony railroad crossing last night and should have figured that trains would come through every couple of hours and blow that whistle. Several times. And shake the ground, even a hundred yards away. 2nd pic is from about the spot of the Yarmony pithouse lookin towards the Colorado River. Went up on a plateau above camp on the west side of the river, which I suspected would be a good spot for prehistoric occupation, but only spotted one grinding stone and a couple of flaked pieces.

Attachments

• 4-23a.jpg
    4-23a.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 4-23b.jpg
    4-23b.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 4-23c.jpg
    4-23c.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 4-23f.jpg
    4-23f.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 4-23g.jpg
    4-23g.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 56

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your looking the ground over. Looks like a good area to me. Many of flakes imo, we're very often artifacts at one time, but after just say a 1/4 acre of that ground was traversed over by 300 + deer every season over the course of 1000 years, those poor little arrowheads couldn't stand the chance to stay intact with those odds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Yarmony site dates back about 6,000 yrs., according to C-14. There probably won't be a whole lot of surface artifacts from that era lying around, and the only way they found that is they were doing excavation work on Trough Road and dug into one. In the second pic that's looking towards McPhee Gulch where there are some surface artifacts from more recent sites. That plateau above the river across from Rio Del Rancho most likely has occupation sites, but it was so long ago and there's been no surface disturbance so nothing shows up. When I get rich I could go in there with GPR and scan that whole thing and probably turn up some sites. Then that info could be filed away somewhere for 'future reference'. Still fun to get out in the field and ponder mysteries of the past, you know?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's how I see it. Get out doors and ponder the mysteries of the past. To hell with thinking and worrying about the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread