worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Got up at 4:30 had coffee,well took it with me and went down the Dam to check out the striper action..nada,it's been awhile now.I think it's from so many herring they get so thick you can walk on

them,a fish story:laughing7:but they get dang thick and flash driving the stripers crazy to the point they don't want artificial baits,and you can't take the herring for bait.Any way about 7 I look down the bike path and see

something that didn't belong there,I really like this B-700 as I can zoom in to check things out,I didn't snap the shutter though:tongue3: but I did take a walk down there when I saw it was a snapper.She had crawled out of the

canal across the bike path..

K1600_006.JPG

and down to the sandy river bank and proceeded to dig a hole..

K1600_012_InPixio.JPG

I sat on a log close enough I could touch her and just watched..

K1600_023.JPG

Killing time as I waited her to finish digging I saw this hellgrammite wondering around,now I know what leaves those centipede looking tracks.

K1600_018.JPG

Pretty soon she started dropping eggs..

K1600_028.JPG

I scooped the sand out so I could put my hand under her tail and caught six eggs to bring home to incubate.

K1600_033.JPG

I forgot these from yesterday,this is the first time I've seen the male and female setting together.

K1600_001.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a snapper this last weekend, but it slipped back into the creek before I could get a picture of it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool pics, but gotta ask....why did you take the eggs?

Were they in a spot where they wouldn't survive to hatch?

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool pics, but gotta ask....why did you take the eggs?

Were they in a spot where they wouldn't survive to hatch?

I have wanted to incubate snapper eggs for decades,I'll release the young after hatching.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Use the hellgrammite as bait. See what you can catch.

I caught 4 more this morning brought them home and 3 of them got out of the pan I had them in,I've looked and looked and can't locate them they are from the kitchen to the living room or in between,if my Wife sees one of them She'll FREAK OUT!

K1600_029.JPG

K1600_031.JPG

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have wanted to incubate snapper eggs for decades,I'll release the young after hatching.

I'm not sure if this is legal in your state, but I question the wisdom of taking these eggs. Turtle hatchlings commonly use environmental cues that help them to return years after hatching - to the same nest area. In addition, environmental sex determination is common in turtles and other reptiles.

Before I retired after four decades as a biologist, I studied these magnificent creatures. I also enjoy seeing the females nest. But I would not take the eggs.

Great pics!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long do you have to sit on them eggs???

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
How long do you have to sit on them eggs???

Image result for snapper turtle egg gestation
Eggs maintained at 68°F produce only females; eggs maintained at 70-72°F produce both male and female turtles; and those incubated at 73-75°F produce only males. Hatching takes approximately 80 to 90 days, but the hatch date can vary depending on temperature and other environmental conditions.

Right around my birthday..8/19:laughing7:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a highly skilled snapping turtle culturist who raises hatchlings by the hundreds of thousands for export to China - where the native species have been extirpated. His methods are very specific and sterile techniques are required.

It is possible for hatchlings to become infected and then transmit those infections to wild turtles. I would return the eggs ASAP and re-bury them at the same area, unless it is in a driveway or other place where the nest obviously won't survive.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/turtles-of-massachusetts

https://ontarioturtle.ca/get-involved/nesting/

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know a highly skilled snapping turtle culturist who raises hatchlings by the hundreds of thousands for export to China - where the native species have been extirpated. His methods are very specific and sterile techniques are required.

It is possible for hatchlings to become infected and then transmit those infections to wild turtles. I would return the eggs ASAP and re-bury them at the same area, unless it is in a driveway or other place where the nest obviously won't survive.

https://www.mass.gov/guides/turtles-of-massachusetts

https://ontarioturtle.ca/get-involved/nesting/

I was not aware of this,back to the river tomorrow.Thanks!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spoken to people who removed eggs because they have seen the high predation (typically by raccoons and foxes) on turtle nests and they justify taking the eggs because egg predation is so high (sometimes 100%). I observed highest predation in the first night after eggs were deposited, with decreased predation if it rained before or during that night, but this recent scientific publication reports that predation can occur throughout development:
http://canadianfieldnaturalist.ca/index.php/cfn/article/viewFile/1583/1600

Rather than take eggs for a sense of amateur scientific curiosity, I think you could leave the nest alone and sprinkle some red pepper or such on the nest surface in an attempt to throw off predators who rely on their sense of smell to find the eggs. Barking dogs discourage egg predators too, but dogs are rarely at nest habitat 24/7.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not aware of this,back to the river tomorrow.Thanks!

Good for you!

"Always do right; this will gratify some, and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread