• tomato 2.jpg
    tomato 2.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 57

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's depressing. I've not heard this virus before. The only issues I have ever had are those tomato worms and I would go out with a pair of scissors and snip each one them in half every now and then.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a shame! You'll need to use big pots instead of in the ground in that spot. Better luck with the surviving plant (but I wouldn't be too optimistic).
HH
dts

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm... Never heard of it, either. I looked it up. It is spreading rapidly. Huge bummer.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope it doesn't get my tomato plants. Sorry...

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
These plants were almost 6 feet tall this morning. This afternoon the one on the left was completely shriveled up and the one on the right was starting to. Tomato wilt virus is the culprit and there is no cure. I pulled one up and threw it away and will probably get the other one tomorrow. I can't even re-plant now or next year in the same spot.

Are they Hybrid or Heirloom?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe spraying the plants with a mixture of dish soup (just a little bit) and water might stop the virus? Just a suggestion.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe spraying the plants with a mixture of dish soup (just a little bit) and water might stop the virus? Just a suggestion.

From what I read there is nothing that can stop it. Pull up the plant and do not use the same spot for at least a year. The other plant is still hanging in but I had to remove three main stalks. I'll see what happens with it.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Your plants look like my wife's biggest tomato plant last week. I'll ask her what she did because it's thriving again. May not be what you were led to believe.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your plants look like my wife's biggest tomato plant last week. I'll ask her what she did because it's thriving again. May not be what you were led to believe.

It's too late now. I have already disposed of it. I removed three large stalks from the second one and it seems to be hanging on. I think it is the hybrid. Hopefully it will make it and I will get a few tomatos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread