Interesting story going on in the Wild Kingdom around here.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a story on the Denver news last night about this coyote and badger team that work together in hunting these burrowing rodents just north east of me. I guess the coyote runs the little squirrels down before they make to the burrows and if it does get away, the badger digs em out. I guess they share the bounty in their efforts of survival. Heck they even take 5er's together when they need a little break.

Attachments

• coyote-and-badger-1.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
    coyote-and-badger-1.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 62
  • coyote-and-badger-4.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg
    coyote-and-badger-4.jpg.838x0_q80.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 1-coyote-and-badger.jpg
    1-coyote-and-badger.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 71

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rewards of being an opportunist.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to believe that, but pretty cool! I'll steal one of these and show it to my son.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...truly shows the intelligence of two predators who found
it benefits them to work together!

I believe this is the original story:

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/blogs/coyote-and-badger-hunt-together
Thanks Diz!... I found a few other articles on this also, but this one does appear to be the original. I thought they said they share the kill on TV, but apparently they do not. Seems no one really does know why this interaction between these two species takes place? Maybe it's just well understood by the coyotes if the badger wants to tag along, just let him as you really don't want to tangle with that little guy and get your face ripped off by his massive claws. I was once panning gold on the American river in California long ago and walking along the other side of the river was this deer and young stray puppy dog together. It was as though they were pals out on a stroll together.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I did steal those pics and posted them on fb for my son to see. I apologize, I took liberties and told a little story about what I thought was happening, and every NDN friend I have on there got it and thought it was the greatest thing. Thanks from all of us for those pics.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a story on the Denver news last night about this coyote and badger team that work together in hunting these burrowing rodents just north east of me. I guess the coyote runs the little squirrels down before they make to the burrows and if it does get away, the badger digs em out. I guess they share the bounty in their efforts of survival. Heck they even take 5er's together when they need a little break.

To Cool !
Good Buddy's it looks like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread