WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
My sister-in-law came over for the weekend. We spent Friday going to garage sales. We got to this one and I found a Bible that was copyright 1895 and the inscription in the back says," Freddie Manning's Book presented by his Mother Dec. 25 1899." I thought that was pretty cool. I also bought a little book that is very thick. The first few pages are missing. In the Preface it says: More than one hundred years have passed over the Christian Church since she was first presented with with the Psalms and Hymns of Dr. Watts.
At the end of the Preface it says, " James Gallaher Cincinnati December, 1834."
I also picked up a couple bottles that peaked my interest and two of those wire insulators for $0.25 each.

Then yesterday we drove to Cambridge City, In. to the Jelly Jar Show that was held on the grounds of the Huddelston Farmhouse. It was built in 1841, the home of John and Susannah Huddleston and their 11 children. They had two "travelers' kitchens" they rented out for cooking and sleeping. It was a beautiful place. I bought a new signed "red book" and a necklace and earrings made from glass shards, and 7 cannon balls from the CW (Union ammo). And then we went into Cambridge City and went through the antique shops. We met the "jar guru" who was in charge of the show. We met him in his shop where he offered us a shot or two. LOL! We had an absolute blast! We are already looking forward to next year.

hud1.JPG

hud2.JPG

hud3.JPG

barn.JPG

barn2.JPG

building.JPG

dis1.JPG

dis2.JPG

dis3.JPG

dis4.JPG

dis5.JPG

dis6.JPG

dis7.JPG

shitsu.JPG

cannon balls.JPG

glass necklace.JPG

city.JPG

city2.JPG

city3.JPG

Thanks for looking!
~Sis

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an absolutely fun day. I always like to hit those old unspoiled and even rundown towns looking at whats around and leaning what history is behind the place. Maybe I'll post some of whats around my town that is busting at the seams now of new development and growth. When I first moved to it, now 29 years ago the old town was looking just like an old town and many of the old homes were kind of run down looking, but now that all these folks are moving in the area the old structures have become very hot on the market and moneys being put in them to get them all fixed up these days. At least something good came out of all this growth around me.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, we had a blast. Everyone of those buildings were antique stores with a restaurant here and a candy shop there. We didn’t even get to scratch the surface of all there was. The older towns have character. I’m glad they’re fixing yours up.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice mental trip for Me.

My sister-in-law came over for the weekend. We spent Friday going to garage sales. We got to this one and I found a Bible that was copyright 1895 and the inscription in the back says," Freddie Manning's Book presented by his Mother Dec. 25 1899." I thought that was pretty cool. I also bought a little book that is very thick. The first few pages are missing. In the Preface it says: More than one hundred years have passed over the Christian Church since she was first presented with with the Psalms and Hymns of Dr. Watts.
At the end of the Preface it says, " James Gallaher Cincinnati December, 1834."
I also picked up a couple bottles that peaked my interest and two of those wire insulators for $0.25 each.

Then yesterday we drove to Cambridge City, In. to the Jelly Jar Show that was held on the grounds of the Huddelston Farmhouse. It was built in 1841, the home of John and Susannah Huddleston and their 11 children. They had two "travelers' kitchens" they rented out for cooking and sleeping. It was a beautiful place. I bought a new signed "red book" and a necklace and earrings made from glass shards, and 7 cannon balls from the CW (Union ammo). And then we went into Cambridge City and went through the antique shops. We met the "jar guru" who was in charge of the show. We met him in his shop where he offered us a shot or two. LOL! We had an absolute blast! We are already looking forward to next year.

View attachment 1600398

View attachment 1600399

View attachment 1600400

View attachment 1600383

View attachment 1600384

View attachment 1600385

View attachment 1600390

View attachment 1600391

View attachment 1600392

View attachment 1600393

View attachment 1600394

View attachment 1600395

View attachment 1600396

View attachment 1600382

View attachment 1600386

View attachment 1600397

View attachment 1600387

View attachment 1600388

View attachment 1600389

Thanks for looking!
~Sis

I kinda felt like I was there.

A-lot of Nice Glass , I love the Aqua Color . I got plenty of White Porcelain pieces I have collected + a few 'Decent Dug Lids'.

25 cent an insulator is a good deal , & shows things don't have to be expensive to be pleasing.

Great Scenery , Building Style , 'could not spell Arc-a tec-sture' lol.

Glad y'all had a great time & the "Glass Guru " sounds like a character.

Also My wife would love that style of jewelry & would be great at making it.

Thanks
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH!!
I forgot to add , I thought those looked like Cannon Balls or Shot , then thought "rotten Apples" . lol

You did good on yr purchases IMHO.
Davey

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I kinda felt like I was there.

A-lot of Nice Glass , I love the Aqua Color . I got plenty of White Porcelain pieces I have collected + a few 'Decent Dug Lids'.

25 cent an insulator is a good deal , & shows things don't have to be expensive to be pleasing.

Great Scenery , Building Style , 'could not spell Arc-a tec-sture' lol.

Glad y'all had a great time & the "Glass Guru " sounds like a character.

Also My wife would love that style of jewelry & would be great at making it.

Thanks
Davers

Cool, that’s why I posted it, so people could see other towns in this country.

The lady said she uses a dremel to smooth out the sharp edges and then to polish the glass. I think it’s a cool way to display even the littlest bit of history. That would make a good combination of hobbies.

As for the shots or cannon balls, I just talked with a guy who may know someone that may help. And I’m going to ask our railroad friend to help with research. Whatever they are and wherever they are from, restored they would be great decor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions