Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came back from fishing over at Leadville about noon and came home to this. A wildfire started up at the base of Buffalo Mountain about maybe 3 miles north of us over at Silverthorne. 2 neighborhoods near the fire were evacuated completely and it was get out and go, go fast right now evacs. All my family and friends in that area are ok and safe, and told to come here if they need anything since we're still safe. Earlier all that was up was the smoke spotter planes, but I thought I heard some choppers and tankers up a little bit ago. I could get closer and get better pics, but we have a lot of tourists up here, in addition to heavy local traffic, so I figure there's a potential for all these roads to turn into one big cluster real quick, so I was glad just to make it home and stay put.

Attachments

• 6-12bb.jpg
    6-12bb.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 6-12cc.jpg
    6-12cc.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 6-12dd.jpg
    6-12dd.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 6-12ee.jpg
    6-12ee.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 6-12ff.jpg
    6-12ff.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 55

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, no! Hope everyone's safe.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now, about 1400 homes have been mandatory evacuated, with about 1100 more on pre-evac. The fire is at about 100 acres and moving rapidly downhill to the east. It's a few yards from some structures, but those places have clear cut zones around them, so that might help. The cavalry is here. There are 4 heavy air tankers, 2 very large DC-10 air tankers, a Type 1 helicopter, and 3 Type 1 Strike Team heavy engines on the scene. (I don't know what some of that is, but it all sounds bad *ss)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prayers offered.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard on the news about this. I pray you stay safe. Also gold boy and his family are out there somewhere. I hope they're not near it, but if they are, I pray for their safety. Thanks for keeping us informed, RGINN. I hope they are more diligent in fighting these fires this year, than they were last year. Stay out of harms way.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like they've got it pretty much whipped, but of course a few more days til completely out. This was bigger, faster, and closer to houses than the one we had last year by Breck. I worried about what kind of support we might get cause the 416 fire has a lot of resources tied up right now, but they brought out the big guns and were on top of it. We probably better get more used to this sort of thing.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6-13aa.jpg This area in red shows where the fire is. Note how close it is to those two neighborhoods, but also notice the fire mitigation areas around them that saved them. Conflicting news reports this morning about the status. They say it's 0% contained, but looks good to those of us who live here. And a big thank you for your thoughts and prayers from all of us locals, to a 'person' in one TV interview who basically said 'Well this is our second home and it will be a loss for us, but we really feel bad for those people who live here and this is their only home'. They didn't show that interview again, but thanks ma'am for noticing 'those people'.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah that is very close, but is there any structures in the red zone?

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that is very close, but is there any structures in the red zone?
No, some hiking trails is all. No structures lost and no injuries reported to residents or firefighters so far either, so we're all very thankful. Hopefully the next turns out the same.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is good to hear.

My next question I guess is what would be on anyones mind that thinks like me. Any good minerals up there, nuggets or stones that you would have easier access to after the bush fire.

Bush fires are terrible but sometimes it opens up spots you could not get a coil into over the past 20 or 30 years perhaps longer or it burns off debris in small washouts that have not been seen in a while.

Glad everyone is safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread