Rue Herb Bush should be renamed the Swallowtail Bush

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier this year I made a post showing caterpillars on my Rue bushes that for many years in a row have had the same variety (Black Swallowtails) on it. The only reason I have kept the Rue plants in my flower bed is because the Black Swallowtails do exclusively like Rue and Parsley plants for laying their eggs on.

Well, I wanted to take photos of the caterpillars as they got bigger, but they kept on vanishing! But, new babies kept appearing to replace the ones that were being eaten by something. About a month ago I finally figured out what the something was eating the little cuties, Daddy Longlegged Spiders. I have since gone on a eradication program of them and I am seeing the results. Now they are growing to maturity without all being gobbled up by those spiders.

Now, in the past week or so, we have noticed a different type of Caterpillar on the plant, along with the usual Black Swallowtail ones.

I took some photos this morning of the new variety and it looks to be a caterpillar of a Giant Swallowtail, I am not 100% certain, but it appears so from the photos in the Golden Nature Guidebook I have. However, darn if I have ever seen a Giant swallowtail in this part of the world.....

Sure is an ugly caterpillar, early on it looks like a bird dropping, which is a protective defense mechanism so birds don't gobble them up.

Right now I have about 10 total Swallowtail caterpillars on my two Rue plants, about 6 of the Black Swallowtail variety and 4 of the Giant Swallowtail.

I do recommend if you want to try and attract them to your flower bed, then go buy some Rue next spring or maybe even now and they are a Perennial and even need trimming to keep from getting too big, but they also bloom in early summer with little yellow flowers. The Caterpillars are the bonus that comes with the plants, hopefully.

Don

Attachments

• GiantSwallowtail1red.jpg
    GiantSwallowtail1red.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 250
  • GiantSwallowtail2red.jpg
    GiantSwallowtail2red.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 252
  • GiantSwallowtail3red.jpg
    GiantSwallowtail3red.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 258
  • GiantSwallowtail4red.jpg
    GiantSwallowtail4red.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 252
  • BlackSwallowtail1red.jpg
    BlackSwallowtail1red.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 252

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Wow! those are some strange looking caterpillars! I am sure glad you are keeping us updated on their progress! such fun!! :D :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cynangyl said:
Wow! those are some strange looking caterpillars! I am sure glad you are keeping us updated on their progress! such fun!! :D :D

Me too!

;) RR

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bugs ---eeeekkk--- bugs are cool and interesting ;D Ivan

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
That's one ugly caterpillar Don. The pics are fantastic. Is the last one a black swallowtail? I've found those in my maters stripping them bare in years past and smashed them but I'll surely just relocate them now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread