Lookout Mountain (Chatanooga, TN) Battle Above The Clouds

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Battle above the clouds..... Wonder why they call it that? Mmm.
two.JPG

On the way to the battle, the 46th Pennsylvania got lost (bad maps) and ended up on Orchard Knob for the night.
DSC00034.JPG

Steve and I took the "Incline Railroad" to the top of the mountain.
three.JPG

Kiara was the conductor.
four.JPG

Much of the top of Lookout mountain is private ownership. One of the "summer homes".
five.JPG

Gobs and gobs of artifacts were recovered and displayed in the museum.
six.JPG

Chattanooga is below. Good place for a "lookout".
seven.JPG

Jonnie Reb found it difficult to bombard the Federals with cannon because the extreme downward angle caused the cannon balls to roll out og the barrels. Steve and I stand next to one of the real deals!
DSC00077.JPG

On top of Lookout Mountain is the only statue in the south with both Jonnie Reb and a Yank together.
eight.JPG

After the tour, we ate at the WORLD FAMOUS Champy's restaurant in Chattanooga.
eleven.JPG

Back towards the house, we past this Confederate cemetery. I wonder why certain city factions want the gate torn down?
twelve.JPG

And...... I couldn't resist.....
thirteen.JPG ╦╦Ç

Attachments

• one.JPG
    one.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took more than 6 dozen pics. Just ask. ╦╦Ç

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Been there a couple times. Your pictures make me want to go again. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saw a movie in the theater. It infers that the University of Wisconsin fight song is a battle cry originating from a Wisconsin native (lieutenant) that yelled "On Wisconsin, on Wisconsin" as he led a charge up Lookout Mountain. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A fellow named McArthur won the Medal of Honor at Lookout Mountain. You and I may remember his son, Douglas. ╦╦Ç

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well....... maybe at Chickamauga or Missionary Ridge, I don't remember the entire movie. ╦╦Ç

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread