Plea for help in the ruins..... UPDATED Photos Added

DAVINCIDOG

Jul 29, 2007
Can anyone help stop the pain and the hurt? A plea made by an old abandoned house that is falling apart. These were taken up in the Catskill area of New York at my Dad's Uncle's old property.

Attachments

• pleas for help in the ruins.jpg
    pleas for help in the ruins.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 493
  • dads_uncles_old_boarding_house.jpg
    dads_uncles_old_boarding_house.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 486
  • dads_uncles_old_cabin_rental_II.jpg
    dads_uncles_old_cabin_rental_II.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 474
  • dads_uncles_old_cabin_rental.jpg
    dads_uncles_old_cabin_rental.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 477

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: Plea for help in the ruins.....

:'( so sad to see it in such ruins! Beautiful photos though!

OP
OP
DAVINCIDOG

DAVINCIDOG

Jul 29, 2007

Yes it was sad to see it in such ruins. :'( That is why when I went exploring it; I was moved by the plea for help that someone that came before painted on the wall of the main boarding house....Or maybe it was the house calling out for help! ;)

I remember as a small boy seeing the houses still in decent condition although long since having been in use. They were from back long before even all the "hip getaways" that the Catskills became known for by NYC folks. Tying to think of the timeline for their use as boarding houses; Let's see.....I am 37 so I was just old enough to be able to remember going there when they were on the verge of being boarded up and my dad is now 78 and it was his Uncle's when his uncle was a young middle age man and he was a boy when it was in full swing use....so that makes it pretty old. LOL

Herer are a couple more of the property.....

Attachments

• old pool.jpg
    old pool.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 454
  • old street light.jpg
    old street light.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 476
  • side of boarding house.jpg
    side of boarding house.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 481

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

definitely a lot of history there! Would be neat to know more about it and who all lived there and how their lives continued after leaving there.

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique

Kinda spooky. Could be worse though, could say "Helter Skelter".

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Those are great photos ....I love theCatskills . The sink looks like it needs a good home....If I come get it can I have it?

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

gypsyheart said:
Those are great photos ....I love theCatskills . The sink looks like it needs a good home....If I come get it can I have it?

Gypsy you and I are thinking alot alike here ;) I was just going to post > save the sink !!! It's a jewel ;D

OP
OP
DAVINCIDOG

DAVINCIDOG

Jul 29, 2007

How did you know? The Blair Witch was here too and the girl freaked out :o when she came by and seen that stick figure hanging from the ceiling casting shadows on the wall!!!! ;D

As for the sink..... it looks better here that it actually was; the property was sold a while ago. I have not been there in a couple years; may already be gone :-\ I will be going back later this fall. I certainly would let you know...

Attachments

• Blair witch.jpg
    Blair witch.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 336

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, I would be after those light fixtures on the pole. Those are really neat looking. Great shots, does look something out of Blair Witch. ;D ;D

;) RR

OP
OP
DAVINCIDOG

DAVINCIDOG

Jul 29, 2007

Added a few more photos of the place.....

Attachments

• uncle toms I.jpg
    uncle toms I.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 275
  • uncle toms II.jpg
    uncle toms II.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 277
  • uncle toms III.jpg
    uncle toms III.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 268

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So sad.....back when I was a scavenger (like gypsy) I would have salvaged lots from that place. Things like moldings, wood turnings, old cupboard doors....all that stuff can be made into something else.

Thanks, Davici! :)

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Great pics... I agree with wes... the B&W shots are awesome...

Looks like a place to scavange... did you detect at all?

OP
OP
DAVINCIDOG

DAVINCIDOG

Jul 29, 2007
Back in the day; the place was very active with people passing through on their travels. I have not done any detecting up in that area. I am sure it would produce some interesting things. I am going to go back in the spring to see what has become of the place in the past couple years.

The Catskills in general have really become a graveyard of sorts for old resorts and camps. I was travelling the back roads on the other side of the Catskills and the old Jewish camps can still be seen dotting the landscape. For those that are scratching their heads...."Jewish Camps?" In addition to the resorts that are something right out of the movie Dirty Dancing during the early 20th century, there was also a range of camps based on backgrounds too for young people and families coming up from the NYC. Jewish camps seemed to flourish in the area more than most specialty camps. Here is a brief article that I pulled up:

"Brief history of the "Catskill Mountains" also know as the Borscht Belt.

The “Catskill Mountains” is a traditional vacation land with many summer resorts and camp grounds. During the first part of the 20th century, many ethnic groups (Germans, Czechs, Jews, etc) established summer resorts in the nearby Shawangunk Mountains, located south of the Catskills near the town of New Paltz. However, since the Shawangunk name was both hard to spell and to say, those resorts cleverly adopted the Catskills as their home, thereby capitalizing on the strong reputation the area already enjoyed. The resorts together became known as The "Borscht Belt," a collection of Jewish resorts (Brown's, Grossinger's, etc) in this region.

Borscht Belt is an informal term for the summer resorts of the Catskill Mountains in Sullivan and Ulster Counties in upstate New York which were frequented by Ashkenazi Jews. Borscht is a kind of beet soup popular with people of Eastern European origin. The term Borscht Belt can also refer to the Catskill region itself.

Borscht Belt hotels, bungalow colonies, summer camps, were frequented by Jewish New Yorkers, particularly in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. Because of this, this area was also nicknamed the Jewish Alps and Solomon County (a modification of Sullivan County), by many people who visited there. Well-known resorts of the area included Brickman's, Brown's, The Concord, Grossinger's, Granit, Kutsher's Hotel and Country Club, the Nevele, Friar Tuck Inn, The Pines, Raleigh and the Windsor.

With changes in demographic and travel patterns, caused partially by the wide-spread adoption of air conditioning that made the cities less unpleasant in the summer, the area has declined as a major vacation destination. Perhaps the single biggest factor was the decline of discrimination or "restriction" in the hotel and travel industry by the 1960s. Prior to that time, many resorts and hotels, implicitly or otherwise, did not welcome Jews. The replacement of old travel routes such as old New York State Route 17 (superseded by an express highway of the same name, now in the midst of an upgrade to Interstate 86), had left the area with a veritable museum of abandoned or decaying travel-related businesses from the Borscht Belt's heyday.

Today the region is a summer home for many Orthodox Jewish families, primarily from the New York metropolitan area. It has many summer homes and bungalow colonies (including many of the historic colonies), as well as year-round dwellers. It even has its own year-round branch of the Orthodox Jewish volunteer emergency medical service Hatzolah. A few resorts remain in the region, (Kutsher's Hotel, Villa Roma, Friar Tuck, to name a few)."

All in all, the Catskills and their abundance of ruins and abandoned places (as in there were 100s of hotels in the area) would prove to be a great outing for anyone that enjoys detecting/treasure hunting/scavenging.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Wow great pictures in black and white. I am with the girls, I wanted the light fixtures the most though. What a shame it was vandalized like that, deffinately should have saved her.

By the way that witch pictured made me jump! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions