WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
This guy has just recently started hanging out low in the trees by our driveway and creek. He flies low and even under our barn porch. He doesn't seem to be too concerned about us. I have been referring to it as a hawk. But, I have found that there are a lot of varieties of hawks in Ohio. I have never seen one get so close.

DSCN6698.JPG

DSCN6702.JPG

DSCN6713.JPG

Thanks!

~Sis

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He's got the blue color of a Cooper's hawk. If you have chickens, these guys love 'em.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy has just recently started hanging out low in the trees by our driveway and creek. He flies low and even under our barn porch. He doesn't seem to be too concerned about us. I have been referring to it as a hawk. But, I have found that there are a lot of varieties of hawks in Ohio. I have never seen one get so close.

View attachment 1622069

View attachment 1622070

View attachment 1622071

Thanks!

~Sis

Since I was so unhelpful I will tell you a story. One day I went to the back door to let Albert out. He was a giant schnauser named after Albert King, and the best dog who ever existed. Just as I opened the door I saw through the screen a bird lying dead on the concrete landing with a drop of blood on him. I shut the door and stood looking at him. I looked down at Albert and told him to wait a minute. When I looked back out a hawk had landed next to the bird. The hawk looked much like your friend.
He had struck him in the air above the house. Nature at work.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sis...don't know why, but those came out very overexposed..

All fixed.

DSCN6698-3.jpg

DSCN6702-3.jpg

DSCN6713-2.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna say they're made by Ford, but I do think it's a Cooper's Hawk. I'm seeing more of that bird around here in my area in recent years. Once I was in the backyard and I heard the neighbors chickens all in a panic. I looked over the fence and just below a Cooper's Hawk had 3 hens pinned into a corner. The hawk then looked up at me and flew up on the fence just 5 feet from me and we looked at each other eye to eye for a few seconds before it took off.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a raptor.

Since I was so unhelpful I will tell you a story. One day I went to the back door to let Albert out. He was a giant schnauser named after Albert King, and the best dog who ever existed. Just as I opened the door I saw through the screen a bird lying dead on the concrete landing with a drop of blood on him. I shut the door and stood looking at him. I looked down at Albert and told him to wait a minute. When I looked back out a hawk had landed next to the bird. The hawk looked much like your friend.
He had struck him in the air above the house. Nature at work.

LOL! You got as far as I did in the ID.

Thanks for the story. And welcome to the My Daily Snapshot Forum!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I was gonna say they're made by Ford, but I do think it's a Cooper's Hawk. I'm seeing more of that bird around here in my area in recent years. Once I was in the backyard and I heard the neighbors chickens all in a panic. I looked over the fence and just below a Cooper's Hawk had 3 hens pinned into a corner. The hawk then looked up at me and flew up on the fence just 5 feet from me and we looked at each other eye to eye for a few seconds before it took off.

:tongue3: Took me longer to figure out your joke than to decide between the hawks. LOL! Too early. Need more :coffee2:

Yeah, they don't seem to be very afraid of us.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics of the Cooper’s hawk. Looks very familiar to me.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you have small anything. Puppies, kittens but they will clean the yard of rodents. If there wasn't something there he wasn't interested in, he wouldn't be there.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have small anything. Puppies, kittens but they will clean the yard of rodents. If there wasn't something there he wasn't interested in, he wouldn't be there.

I know what lured him in. I just recently hung up 2 bird feeders. Mr Wd said, "I wonder if he's eating the bird seed?" To which I replied, " More like he's eating the little birds who are feeding at the bird feeders!"

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Chris. I will look at you and Mike's cleaned up pics at work, where I have a better computer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread