Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good possibility that's what is was...unless Fossis comes up with something different. I'm surprised based on reading this article that muscadines were grown as far north as Delaware. Learn something new here everyday.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscadine

;) RR

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
My Dad use to love Wine. I was real little and he would say he was drinking what I thought he was saying was Muskatel Wine. Would this have been what you guys are talking about but my being little thought he was saying something else?Just wondering Interesting reading both of your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Van

Van, I think there is also a 'muskatel' wine, so I
don't know for sure.

Fossis..............

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for the information RR an Fossis,one can learn alot on this computer. Wasn't to long ago I was afraid to even turn this thing on.
Van

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
Thanks for the information RR an Fossis,one can learn alot on this computer. Wasn't to long ago I was afraid to even turn this thing on.
Van

I hear you Van, I never thought I would own one
myself. but my buddy 'Scotto' gave me one,
& SOMEBODY STOP ME, I'ME HAVING A BALL. ;D

Fossis............

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
fossis said:
VanGone said:
Van
lol I can relate Fossis

I hear you Van, I never thought I would own one
myself. but my buddy 'Scotto' gave me one,
& SOMEBODY STOP ME, I'ME HAVING A BALL. ;D

Fossis............

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a sample of the net and mucatel

GENERICS California Muscatel This wine varies from light to dark amber and from sweet to very sweet. In order to achieve its full muscat character it should be made from a considerably higher percentage of muscat grapes than the required legal minimum of 51 per cent. For the purpose of this Guide the wine is generic in so far as the particular muscat variety from which it has been produced is not indicated.

The Muscat of Alexandria, pre-eminently a raisin grape, is the variety most generally used for producing the wine labeled "California Muscatel:" The grape does extremely well in the San Joaquin Valley and in Southern California, particularly in the Escondido district in San Diego County. The more aromatic Orange Muscat yields higher quality muscatels, as do the delicate Muscat Canehi, or Frontignan, and the Malvasia bianca, the latter two being marketed under their varietal names.

Black Muscat or Black Muscatel The name given to high-quality red muscatels, derived from various grapes, depending on the grower. It is produced notably in Santa Clara County from Muscat Hamburg grapes and in Southern Alameda from a blend of Muscat Hamburg and Aleatico.

Use and Service-Muscats and muscatels are most appropriate when served in the afternoon and evening with cookies, cake, or sandwiches, or at dinner with a sweet dessert. The white types are also used in cooking, especially with ham, and make a refreshing drink when served in a tall glass with ice and a slice of lemon, the acidity o$ which perfectly counterbalances the sweetness of the wine.

OP
OP
V

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
packerbacker said:
Just a sample of the net and mucatel

GENERICS California Muscatel This wine varies from light to dark amber and from sweet to very sweet. In order to achieve its full muscat character it should be made from a considerably higher percentage of muscat grapes than the required legal minimum of 51 per cent. For the purpose of this Guide the wine is generic in so far as the particular muscat variety from which it has been produced is not indicated.

The Muscat of Alexandria, pre-eminently a raisin grape, is the variety most generally used for producing the wine labeled "California Muscatel:" The grape does extremely well in the San Joaquin Valley and in Southern California, particularly in the Escondido district in San Diego County. The more aromatic Orange Muscat yields higher quality muscatels, as do the delicate Muscat Canehi, or Frontignan, and the Malvasia bianca, the latter two being marketed under their varietal names.

Black Muscat or Black Muscatel The name given to high-quality red muscatels, derived from various grapes, depending on the grower. It is produced notably in Santa Clara County from Muscat Hamburg grapes and in Southern Alameda from a blend of Muscat Hamburg and Aleatico.

Use and Service-Muscats and muscatels are most appropriate when served in the afternoon and evening with cookies, cake, or sandwiches, or at dinner with a sweet dessert. The white types are also used in cooking, especially with ham, and make a refreshing drink when served in a tall glass with ice and a slice of lemon, the acidity o$ which perfectly counterbalances the sweetness of the wine.
Very interesting Packer, my Dad use to love that wine. If my memory is correct it was light or golden in color.Thanks for the post
Van

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
If you like desert wines, & you really want a treat, try Bonnie Doon's Vin de Glacier. It's a late harvest ice wine made from muscat grapes. Awesome flavor! A bit pricey ($18 for a half bottle) but very very good. Sutter Home also makes a good muscat wine. It's called "Muscato" & is reasonably priced (I just picked up a bottle at Von's for $4) and has great flavor.

Now I know why Grandpa liked a little Muskatel after dinner ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread