Vacation pics of Oshkosh Wisconsin Air Museum

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our son was instructing a class in a new type of aircraft (Sport Class) at the Experimental Aircraft Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. He's an aircraft airframe and powerplant mechanic by trade. He, his boss and one other person are the only 3 in the US approved by the FAA to work on this new class of aircraft and the only ones that can teach others to do it. We are pretty proud of his place in aviation history. Although very small in itself, he is still part of a new generation of flying machines.
This is a pic of a display that is in the museum. It's my grandfather's bucking bars that he had invented. They were the first cusioned bucking bars. They are used when riveting aircraft together. The riveter works from one side of the aircraft and another person holds the bucking bar on the other end of the rivet until it is flattened. Being "cushioned" it made life a lot easier for the person holding it. It was a proud feeling to be at the museum looking at my grandfather's picture at the same time his great grandson was in room right next door instructing his class. My son flies as did his great grandfather. As a matter of fact, my grandfather was one of the first to fly into Oshkosh for the, now annual, Oshkosh Fly-in.

Attachments

• buckingbars.JPG
    buckingbars.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 114

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread