Twin fawns

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
We have a fenced yard (5 acres) and this pair of twins was born inside the fence, right by the house. The mom has been hanging out here for about 5 years & is very comfortable in the yard. This is the first batch of fawns that she's had. It's really cool that she came here to have them! The little guys come up to the house almost every day. It's quite a sight to see them run and play right outside the front door. I've attached a picture of their mom eating the Petunias on the deck. Sometimes she sticks her nose on the screen door to see what we're doing.

Attachments

• twinfawns 07 1.JPG
    twinfawns 07 1.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 283
  • deck.JPG
    deck.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 262

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Oh deer!

If they come to dinner... don't have venison!

Twin fawns are rare I understand... and if born alive it's usually at the cost of the doe's life - very cool little miracle and pics!

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
We're pretty protective of these little guys. We keep the driveway gate closed at all times so they don't get out on the road. We also don't want the neighbor's dogs getting in here. It's tough enough for fawns without cars & dogs. We have bobcats, coyotes, & mountain lions around. They need all the help they can get. I think the mother knows this is a fairly safe place. We don't feed them but we do have water out for them. I'm still surprised that they have both survived this long. I sure hope they both make it!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're adorable.

;) RR

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
not feeding them ? their mom seems to like "your" flowers ;D-- thats nice though giving them a "safe" spot to grew up -- I do hunt (I like fresh meat --deer,turkey,rabbit and even squirrel)-- but I have squirrels that live in my back yard that I would not touch -- now "wild ones" in the woods are fair game but not "pet" ones *ones that have lived around humans for a good while thus "losing their fear of humans" the for the most part)--- hope they don't get to "used" to you -- as they grow up if they have no "fear" of humans it might be their "down fall" if they go onto land were a hunter is at ---they would not think of a human as danger. --- Ivan

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Oh deer!

Twin fawns are rare I understand... and if born alive it's usually at the cost of the doe's life - very cool little miracle and pics!

JIm...twins and even triplets aren;t usually rare at all, at least not here in Maine with the Whitetail deer. If there is plenty of food around the does will usually have 2 or 3 fawns. If there is not alot of browse around then it is likely they will only have one or none at all. Natures way of not letting too many deer be born with no food to support them.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
The first time a doe gives birth it is one fawn. In the following years they usually have two, and sometimes even three fawns.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
How wonderful! I would love to have a family like that in my yard, I wouldn't even mind if they ate the fruit off the trees. We had a real bad (I mean bad) winter a few years back. My husband noticed one of the visiting deer limping, and with the food source buried under several feet of snow he was concerned she would fall prey to a coyote. Next thing I know we have 50 lbs of deer food, a feeder in the woods, and several big tough guys out feeding the 2 deer twice a day. By the end of the winter she was all healed up and had brought about 10 more of her buddies :D. You could tell the time of day, they would show up about 20 min before dusk or dawn, what a ball to watch. Understand we never fed them before and we haven't since, they just needed a little help that winter. We were glad to oblige.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Mainedigger said:
Montana Jim said:
Oh deer!

JIm...twins and even triplets aren;t usually rare at all, at least not here in Maine with the Whitetail deer. If there is plenty of food around the does will usually have 2 or 3 fawns. If there is not alot of browse around then it is likely they will only have one or none at all. Natures way of not letting too many deer be born with no food to support them.
I have seen triplets even here in South florida. I dont know if they were identical.

narragansett

Jun 14, 2007
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
None yet
I have common land behind my house and I see 8-10 deers a night. They are beautiful until they mosey on up to my garden and eat all my flowers.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great pics of mom and the kids. Looks like she is helping herself to the smorgasbord on the deck. It is so cool that you are letting them live in your yard. Hope the little ones are around for a long time to come.

OP
OP
C

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
We're really careful not to get too close to the babies. We don't want them getting too tame. When we see them outside we just work around them & give them room. I'm so glad they are here in the fence. All of the neighbors have big dogs and there is a busy road along the front of the property. At least they have a chance to get some size on them before they venture out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread