Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I wish I could find where somebody had done some research on this. Probably since it's in the shadow of Chimney Rock, it's a second string player. This is where the San Juan and Piedra River met, and from what I can determine by surface investigation, people lived from the point all the way about a half mile east up the ridge. There's hundreds of potsherds lying around, and some have designs painted on them, most always on the inside of the vessel. Found a few manos, and that long one I placed wrongside up in the pic so it looks just like a rock. Spotted three broken up mutates and a mano in one spot. The pic in the trees which is hard to make out, is a depression which I will almost say is the site of a pit house, due to the location and surface artifacts noticed. Very little evidence of tool making in the area, why I don't know. If y'all want to see these, I left them all pretty much where I found them.

Attachments

• 9-11aa.jpg
    9-11aa.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 9-11b.jpg
    9-11b.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 9-11bb.jpg
    9-11bb.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 53
  • 9-11t.jpg
    9-11t.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 62
  • 9-11z.jpg
    9-11z.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that should be 'metates', not 'mutates'. Sorry, got in a hurry.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have left them, too. Only because I wouldn't have known what I was looking at. Except for the pottery shards, those I would have picked up. Thanks for the lesson!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting looking place. Yeah ya don't wanna be toting any artifacts out of a place like that. About last month I was over in the Blue Mesa Reservoir park and very often stop to look for artifacts. I was on a hill and then I heard someone holler hello below, but I couldn't see them from my point. When I got to where I could see below there's two park rangers. They said they were observing me from a distance and wondered if I was okay. First thing I asked was is it okay for me to hike around up here in this area off the trail? They said it was okay. They then inform me I'm not allowed to remove any artifacts, rocks or antler shed from the park as a friendly reminder, but it is okay to pick them up and look at them and take a photo if you'd like, you just can't remove any of those things from the park. I don't understand why one can't pick up antler shed, but rules are rules I guess.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live near a Corps of Engineers lake. For years, we weren't allowed to pick up sheds or mushrooms. Finally, we got a new lake manager and he changed the rules to okay shed and mushroom hunting. Metal detecting is allowed by the Corps in disturbed areas in general but it's up to the individual lake manager to set that rule. Here, metal detecting is still not allowed anywhere on the Corps ground. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions