Chris

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yum Yum. Hushpuppies,big ole red onion,fried green tomatoes, sweet tea with lemon and a bowl of nanner pudding for dessert. And yes and some fish to go with it. Nice catch.:occasion14:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright, Chris! Nice catch! Looks like 3-1/2 hours of fun, fun, fun!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Actually Sis it was 3 1/2 hours of set,set,set,I did really enjoy the drag striping run and fight though.

Enjoyed the pics. Keep on cranking that bait. It must be the yellow crankbait I saw yesterday.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, maybe I just lack any cultural literacy at all but I have a question. Can you eat carp? If so, how do you prepare it? What is the texture of the meat?

My son-in-law's mother swears that she has a sure-fire carp bait and, if those suckers are edible, I'll start targeting them.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Enjoyed the pics. Keep on cranking that bait. It must be the yellow crankbait I saw yesterday.

Carp are bottom feeders and I bait the hook with eight kernels of sweet corn with a good wad of oatmeal mixed with cream corn,shredded coconut and vanilla extract tightly squeezed around it..lob it out and wait for the action.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, maybe I just lack any cultural literacy at all but I have a question. Can you eat carp? If so, how do you prepare it? What is the texture of the meat?

My son-in-law's mother swears that she has a sure-fire carp bait and, if those suckers are edible, I'll start targeting them.

you tube the subject..lots there.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys have carp we have alligator gar. What’s the average size out there?

Free your mind [emoji1317]

BIG:laughing7: [FONT=&quot]I'd say 18 pounds is a safe number.I recall the gar, gators and moccasins as a kid down in Fla.
Some big ass flat heads too!
[/FONT]

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BIG:laughing7: [FONT=&quot]I'd say 18 pounds is a safe number.I recall the gar, gators and moccasins as a kid down in Fla.
Some big ass flat heads too!
[/FONT]

Yeah those gars are fun to catch great sport fishing. If you where a Floridian you know what I mean.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Carp are bottom feeders and I bait the hook with eight kernels of sweet corn with a good wad of oatmeal mixed with cream corn,shredded coconut and vanilla extract tightly squeezed around it..lob it out and wait for the action.

That's sounds good enough that if you had bait left over it would make a nice snack.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
As a kid, went fishing with my dad and a friend of his on the Trinity River in Texas. Was the first time I'd ever seen anyone out fishing for gar. Back then, was only black folks doing that, as it was considered a trash fish and "not worth eating". Now, gar is said to be a tasty dish.

Same thing for carp - grew up with the understanding that carp were trash fish. Nobody wanted to catch them....other than for sport. Now folks eat 'em.

Silly folks....can't make up their minds. :tongue3:

I didn't know, however, that carp could be caught using a lure -- but then Chris wrote about adding fixins to the hooks. As for carp being bottom feeders, so are catfish.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
As a kid, went fishing with my dad and a friend of his on the Trinity River in Texas. Was the first time I'd ever seen anyone out fishing for gar. Back then, was only black folks doing that, as it was considered a trash fish and "not worth eating". Now, gar is said to be a tasty dish.

Same thing for carp - grew up with the understanding that carp were trash fish. Nobody wanted to catch them....other than for sport. Now folks eat 'em.

Silly folks....can't make up their minds. :tongue3:

I didn't know, however, that carp could be caught using a lure -- but then Chris wrote about adding fixins to the hooks. As for carp being bottom feeders, so are catfish.

Notice how their eyes look down..

K1600_DSCN0353.JPG

I recall reading"If it doesn't have scales don't eat it".

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a wonderful morning! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread