Battle(s) at Adobe Walls, TX

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adobe Walls was a buffalo hunter trading post near Stinnett, TX. The Indians won the first battle there.
Kit.JPG

The second battle there was in favor of the buff hunters, including Bat Masterson.
Bat.JPG

There are also memorials dedicated to the Indians.... rightfully so.
Indians.JPG

I took a picture of my Jeep and bubble from where one of the buildings once was.
Bubble.JPG

It is VERY VERY difficult to see the building foundations from the ground. Here is a very small piece of one wall. The lighter grass running up the pic is one wall.
Wall.JPG

I suggest you look at the site using Google Earth to see the two building foundations better in the satellite photo. They are located about 250 yards NE of the main memorial site. Google up Adobe Walls Battle to learn more. TTC

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been close to there but never detoured over to the site, glad you got to check it out. A Comanche 'prophet' named Isa-tai (Rear end of a wolf) stirred this little fiasco up in 1874. He claimed to be able to foretell the future, spit up tons of bullets, and make people impervious to bullets. So off they went to wipe out the buffalo hunters and basically got their *sses handed to them, although the Indians had greater numbers. This is the fight that made Quanah Parker a stand-out. Co-hay-yah, Comanche who was in the fight said the buffalo hunters had telescopes on their rifles and one Comanche got knocked off his horse from a shot fired about a mile away. The Indians say altogether they lost about 15. I don't know about the names on the marker, but the ones the Comanche mention are Tsa-yat-see, Co-bay, Esa-que, Tasa-va-te, and a Mexican named Sai-yan. (Plains tribes would capture Mexican children in raids in Mexico and adopt them) Everybody was pretty much p'od at the so-called prophet after the fight and were in favor of giving him a sound whipping. Of course he claimed that somebody ruined his medicine by violating some taboo, so he wasn't to blame. He pretty much faded from history after that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing...I am going to research the area when I have some time! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been close to there but never detoured over to the site, glad you got to check it out. A Comanche 'prophet' named Isa-tai (Rear end of a wolf) stirred this little fiasco up in 1874. He claimed to be able to foretell the future, spit up tons of bullets, and make people impervious to bullets. So off they went to wipe out the buffalo hunters and basically got their *sses handed to them, although the Indians had greater numbers. This is the fight that made Quanah Parker a stand-out. Co-hay-yah, Comanche who was in the fight said the buffalo hunters had telescopes on their rifles and one Comanche got knocked off his horse from a shot fired about a mile away. The Indians say altogether they lost about 15. I don't know about the names on the marker, but the ones the Comanche mention are Tsa-yat-see, Co-bay, Esa-que, Tasa-va-te, and a Mexican named Sai-yan. (Plains tribes would capture Mexican children in raids in Mexico and adopt them) Everybody was pretty much p'od at the so-called prophet after the fight and were in favor of giving him a sound whipping. Of course he claimed that somebody ruined his medicine by violating some taboo, so he wasn't to blame. He pretty much faded from history after that.
RGINN and Doc, I strongly suggest a book called "Empire of the Summer Moon" if you want to read up on the Comanche Nation. Quanah is the son of Lisa Parker, abducted when she was about 7, I think. The Comanche are the reason Travis and many others at the Alamo were actually Mexican citizens. Mexico gave MUCH land to any Gringo that would settle in that part of Mexico, hence the Mexican pledge (citizen papers). Mexico so feared the Comanche raiders that they wanted a BUFFER between the Nation and Mexico. Quanah went on to entertain presidents at his great house in his later years. TTC

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good book, TerryC, I got that one. I've been to Quanah Parker's house where they've moved it to Cache, OK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread