tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I headed to Ouray Colorado last Wednesday and first had to go into Denver before I headed to the western side of the state. It was sure slow getting out of Denver, but things freed up as I started to climb up I70 towards the continental divide. Going down the west side of the divide I see one professional driver failed to keep it slow and low and no doubt heated up the breaks to the point of no return. He's a lucky driver being there's a runaway ramp for him to bailout on. I've seen some trucks over on their side on this ramp before, so I guess he got lucky there also keeping it on the wheels and not spilling his load on top of all he'll be explaining to the company he drives for. It will certainly be an expensive mistake, being it's requiring two big tow trucks to get him back down and on the road again. I finally made it over to the Gunnison valley and Montrose for the night where I took this last picture of the Gunnison river around 6 PM. Lot of fall colors going on now and things are really cooling down at night now.

Attachments

• trip 100418 1.jpg
    trip 100418 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • trip 100418 2.jpg
    trip 100418 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
  • trip 100418 3.jpg
    trip 100418 3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 99
  • trip 100418 4.jpg
    trip 100418 4.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was very fortunate that I never had to use one of those when I was an OTR driver.

My worst fear though was that I would need one, but would find it already "occupied" as in your pic. Never drove out west, so most of my mountains were really just steep hills (Boston Mountains, Ozarks, and parts of Georgia and Tennessee).

... and yes, it is important to keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down as a buddy of mine use to say.

Last edited:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it could have been much much worse for him.

I know it will be short lived for you but I am glad to see these fall pics!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That last pic reminds me of old times, Grant. I spent the fall of '73, and the winter of '73-'74 at Crested Butte.
Jim

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last pic reminds me of old times, Grant. I spent the fall of '73, and the winter of '73-'74 at Crested Butte.
Jim
Me and some friends back in the later 70s and early 80s would very often head over the cottonwood pass on our long change days off to camp and fish over and around Crested Butte. It was in those times I saw a few folks in Crested Butte were modifying old bicycles to handle the mountain trails. I remember asking this fella what's up with the heavy duty bike?. He said, man we call these things, stump jumpers. I didn't know then, but I was looking at what would today be the popular activity of mountain biking. Back then those bikes we're all homebuilt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread