tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little guy is out nibbling on my pile of leaves I got go out and finish raking up this morning. Won't be long and his environment will be one of real survival in the cold winter from the staving Fox, Coyote, Owls and Hawks, desperate for some tasty rabbit. There's gotten to be so many of these guys around, maybe I should have some to eat?. Last rabbit I ate was in a Moroccan restaurant in Boulder, Colo. where you sat on the floor and ate with your fingers. They even had a belly dancer there to watch while you ate. Mama didn't like that that a put a five her jingly jangle belt, but it would have been an insult to the dancer as she demonstrated her best of shaking right in front of me as I sat on the floor dining on that spicy meal. We never went back there to have dinner again.

Attachments

• Bunny out the window.jpg
    Bunny out the window.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 66
  • bunny winter.jpg
    bunny winter.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 63

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
nice pic thanks for sharing and he would make a good meal

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Cute bunny pics!

I would have to be on "Mama's" side on that one. LOL!
I have, however, gone to Hooters once. Just once.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they have you eat with your fingers so you won't stab your self watching the belly dancer? :)
Rabbit is good meat. Surprised it isn't more popular. Maybe it's that cute thing.
Lived in Walden as a kid. Colorado is so beautiful but so cold lol.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Man, that weather changed in a hurry.:laughing7: Nice pics.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they have you eat with your fingers so you won't stab your self watching the belly dancer? :)
Rabbit is good meat. Surprised it isn't more popular. Maybe it's that cute thing.
Lived in Walden as a kid. Colorado is so beautiful but so cold lol.
Yeah, Walden's pretty chilly in the winter. It's snowing in the mountains now, but I'm getting a sun tan down here on the front range cleaning up the the back yard today.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that weather changed in a hurry.:laughing7: Nice pics.:icon_thumright:
they're a year or so apart, but we did have some snow that stuck a couple weeks ago. The weather news has been broadcasting live up where RGINN is and it's looking pretty ugly up in the high country.

BrundleFly

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2018
Manitou Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 with 10" Elliptical Concentric Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For Sale: Rabbits... for pets or food

There's gotten to be so many of these guys around, maybe I should have some to eat?. Last rabbit I ate was in a Moroccan restaurant in Boulder, Colo.
'

Noob member here. I'll endeavor to post something detector-related after the Fisher F5 gets here. In the mean time, I stumbled on this thread while browsing the forum, and thought I'd share with fellow Coloradans... and rabbit eaters:

Rabbits seem to have become be an 'envigored' species around here (Manitou Springs) as well in the last few years. Never had rabbit at the old Matamm Fez that was just down the avenue from us, but my Dutch grandparents used to keep and eat them; pretty tasty as I recall.

Cheers,
Dave

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live in Manitou. It was about the 3rd to the last house up Ruxton Ave, past the cog RR station. My dad and I did a lot of cottontail hunting when I was young. He'd put em in a pot of saltwater to soak all night and mello out some of the gamey taste. Looking back at it I think it brought back his childhood, as he grew up in the depression era and getting by poor was something I think he cherished in a way. He wasn't a poor man raising us kids though, but being a farmer like his father who lost the farm during those times, I'm sure turned that idea of doing what his father did around.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11-6b.jpg Yep, this is today in the high country, tr. Breck says they got 5 ft. in the last few days, so with that as a guideline this pic shows at least 3 ft. of snow, haha! I don't know about this part of the country, but when we hunted rabbits we always waited until after a hard freeze, as that supposedly killed the worms they carried. I don't know how true that was, but thought it probably came down as after a hard freeze and really cold weather set in about the only thing you could find to hunt were rabbits.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one fella I know was cleaning some Colorado high country rabbits and he had an open cut on his hand and the rabbits blood got in his blood system with some kind of parasite I think it was, that caused him to be deathly sick with fevers and all. He missed about a month of work. The theory I grew up with on killing rabbits, was they're best when killed in any month with an R in it. If ever I do hunt them again I'm bringing freezer bags to put them in. The last time I went rabbit hunting I had one of those old-time hunting jackets that had the game pocket on the back. The two rabbits I put in there had so many fleas they got all over me after those rabbits got cold on really cold freezing day. The dogs killed one in the backyard here and that dead rabbit was a total fleabag.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread