tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are from the day before yesterday as I headed out of some work I was doing in Yerington, Nevada. This place is called the Grimes Point Archaeological Site. I took a bit of time to walk some of it, but not all because I wanted to put some miles behind. In the 4th picture you can see an ancient shoreline as the people who occupied this area lived along the shores of an ancient lake many eons ago. The mountain shot is one I took from a pass going east on hwy 50 and it's one in the Toiyabe range. It looked like the tallest one, but I don't know the name of that peak, without researching it. The sunset was beautiful looking to the west as I headed north from hwy 50, but it is a sad reminder of what all's going on in California.

Attachments

• trip 111518 1.jpg
    trip 111518 1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
  • trip 111518 2.jpg
    trip 111518 2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 72
  • trip 111518 3.jpg
    trip 111518 3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 83
  • trip 111518 4.jpg
    trip 111518 4.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • trip 111518 5.jpg
    trip 111518 5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • trip 111518 6.jpg
    trip 111518 6.jpg
    959.3 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was filing away these pictures, I noticed I was up in Montana on this day back on Nov.15th 2016 and went through Virginia City, MT. It looked to be a bit overcast and cooler up there then it was on this Nov.15th 2018 in western Nevada.

Attachments

• trip 111516 5.jpg
    trip 111516 5.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 74
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
When I was filing away these pictures, I noticed I was up in Montana on this day back on Nov.15th 2016 and went through Virginia City, MT. It looked to be a bit overcast and cooler up there then it was on this Nov.15th 2018 in western Nevada.
I really like this one, it's a great picture.....I have only been there once. It was over twenty years ago, and I didn't carry a camera at that time....I was there picking up a flatbed load of building stones from a couple of old guys to take to California....Thanks for the memory Grant!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow...reminds me how much I miss that area. Hope I can get healthy
enough to go back some day.

Used to hunt coyotes up through the Monitor Valley, and prospected
up around Manhattan and Round Mountain.

Grant, ever check out the gold/gem shop in Austin?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...reminds me how much I miss that area. Hope I can get healthy
enough to go back some day.

Used to hunt coyotes up through the Monitor Valley, and prospected
up around Manhattan and Round Mountain.

Grant, ever check out the gold/gem shop in Austin?
I did go up into Austin, but the good gem and mineral shop was closed. I stopped in an other in town that handles mostly import rocks and minerals. I had a bad night some time ago in Austin at the Pony motel I think it's called. I had a realy bad toothache and the dentist would only come over from Ely every two weeks. Thank God the gas station convenience store next to the motel carried some Anbesol and I was putting that on that tooth every half hour. Sure didn't get any sleep at night. Lord that was painful.

Last edited:

MCX

Apr 21, 2018
NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing! The oldest known petroglyphs in North America are near this area (in Winnemucca Lake)...dated up to 15,000 years-old (article link). There are TONS of great rock art sites around there to explore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing! The oldest known petroglyphs in North America are near this area (in Winnemucca Lake)...dated up to 15,000 years-old (article link). There are TONS of great rock art sites around there to explore.
I'm hoping sometime I can get over to see those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread