Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Well Oklahoma was a Confederate Territory. There was alot of Confederate Indians there from the Five Tribes that were augmented by men from the Army of the Trans-Mississippi. He could have died there fighting. There were quite a few little battles there in and around Oklahoma. In fact, the LAST Confederate to surrender officially was a Cherokee chief and Confederate Brigadier General...Gen. Stand Watie.

General Watie & his men had several setbacks at the
beginning of the war, (surprise raids, & ambushes), but he was a
'Holy Terror' later in the war.

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pgill said:
Dont know too much about your wars, apart from what I have heard on Tnet and seen on Discovery etc.... But one thing I have seen is that you guys are very proud of the soldiers that died in the wars, no matter what side they were on.
I will be watching this post in hope that you find more info on this soldier.

God bless
Peter

Thanks Peter, Fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
superduty said:
wow this page says his regiment lost 294 men one killed and 293 died of disease the link didn't work but here is the name of the regiment, 131st Regiment , Illinois Infantry.

His stone says Mississippi Infantry, unless he
was assigned to the Illinois Infantry.

Fossis.............

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I love to find Confederate graves, and there are a few in most every local Southern cemetery. Locally, there is a cemetery that houses some Confederate graves, but most are unmarked. However, if you talk to the local "oldies," they'll point them out. Back about 80 years ago, they were still recognizable and remembered as being "the grave of a rebel soldier."

Rebel flags mean something special to folks down here. Others don't understand that; they think it means something racial. Nope, just good Southern loyalty for a state that wanted to suscede from "the Union," which was allowed by all states, but in the end, granted to none. The Civil War was not based on slavery, but a desire to suscede. Forget what is taught in elementary school; read the actual historical accounts. Our history is flavored. Beware.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread