I used to worry about ticks, then this

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tarantula.jpeg

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not real is it?

A couple of years ago I got tested for tick-born illnesses and found out I've already had Rock Mountian Spotted Fever so I just don't even think about them anymore.

*luckily we don't have Lyme Disease here*

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean, I put my earphones on backward once also and one of those critters came and let me know also.:notworthy:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
after thought ? and the eensy weensy spider went up the spout again

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In the middle of a very clean woods we were detecting a week ago the guy I was with found this rubber tarantula under the leaves, kids toy. We took this picture to show our wives. My wife went pale when she saw the picture, I told her it fell out of a tree.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice prank, sure has some reality to it! :occasion14:

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the middle of a very clean woods we were detecting a week ago the guy I was with found this rubber tarantula under the leaves, kids toy. We took this picture to show our wives. My wife went pale when she saw the picture, I told her it fell out of a tree.

LOL

Did you end up in the doghouse

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New York doesn’t have tarantulas

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not real is it?

A couple of years ago I got tested for tick-born illnesses and found out I've already had Rock Mountian Spotted Fever so I just don't even think about them anymore.

*luckily we don't have Lyme Disease here*

I don't know what to think about that...Not Having Lyme Disease In Missouri? Do We or Don't We? I've heard both.

One of my cousins who's city to the core and considers camping...being in the Motor Home without her pool... was diagnosed with that several years ago... she couldn't remember Ever being bit or anywhere a tick was. I didn't believe it at all...mainly because if she would of ever known there was a tick on her..I think she would of had a breakdown and been in therapy over it.

Her Lyme Disease Dr (there's only one that specializes in it here) scared her so bad she moved West where he told her it was safer and better for that condition. She comes back every 4 months for a check up.

I've not been tested for it.

Kace

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking barefoot in the yard here in WY and some hours later went to relieve myself, and discovered that 3 dog ticks had embedded themselves in my manhood. I ripped the suckers out but the next day felt ill, and spent most of my time for the next week in bed with serious fatigue, chills and aching joints. I'm pretty sure it was Colorado Tick Fever, and while it's hard to say I don't think I've been at 100% since then. That or I'm just getting old, heh.

I determined that my lazy "disabled" neighbors never groomed their dogs and let fat bloated ticks lay their eggs all over and infest the area. Maybe found 1 on me hiking all over the place here, but plenty would crawl on me when I went in the yard. It was nasty.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what to think about that...Not Having Lyme Disease In Missouri? Do We or Don't We? I've heard both.

One of my cousins who's city to the core and considers camping...being in the Motor Home without her pool... was diagnosed with that several years ago... she couldn't remember Ever being bit or anywhere a tick was. I didn't believe it at all...mainly because if she would of ever known there was a tick on her..I think she would of had a breakdown and been in therapy over it.

Her Lyme Disease Dr (there's only one that specializes in it here) scared her so bad she moved West where he told her it was safer and better for that condition. She comes back every 4 months for a check up.

I've not been tested for it.

Kace

I actually live in Arkansas and I'd always heard on the news about Lyme disease and even know of a few people that have it but according to my doctor who ever it was from the state that called to confirm that I'd had RMSF there has never been a confirmed case of Lyme being contracted in the state. Apparently all of the cases around here are people who are believed to have contracted it while traveling.

I requested the test because I had counted 200+ ticks that year (not all had bit me). The tider test came back positive for having had RMSF but not as an active infection. Meaning I'd had it at some point in my life and can't get it again. Strangely enough I have no idea when that might have been.

CR-Health-Tick-Map-II-08-15.jpg

clemson-map-1024x731.jpg

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a lady friend with lymes disease, you would never know as she is a fire ball and from Indiana/Wisconsin. She works in landscaping and other outdoor enterprises.

I was a fire fighter and have been an Outdoorsman my whole life, have had rocky mountain spotted fever before so that is not a problem.

Dang Horses from UK etc. On tour brought the USA lymes disease, Thanks a lot.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, go in a sewer you deserve anything you get

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plumbata,

This sounds all too familiar. I was a forest research tech at UK in the mid-2000s doing data collection in forests across KY. In 2004, I had been bit by at least a hundred ticks. I got hammered by ticks and chiggers two days in a row and got to feeling flu-like. Went to get tested for Lyme disease and whatever else they could test for… asked specifically about Ehrlichiosis, Babesiosis, RMSF, Lyme. Everything came back negative. Hmmmm… I took two weeks off to recover and when I went back, I was not myself. Can only say it was like chronic fatigue syndrome and increased frequency of headaches. To this day, I still don’t feel that I ever got back to 100%. I was telling a forester from western KY about it one day and he said that he had the same thing and got tested. He said that his test came back positive for something but he couldn’t remember what. I reeled off some names but it was no to everything. He said that there wasn’t an approved treatment so it didn’t really matter. I recently heard of an NRCS employee around London, KY with the same symptoms. Epidemiologists are finding new tick borne pathogens pretty frequently and some of them are quite bad. I hear horror stories from folks in PA on a fairly regular basis.

Kace,

As far as your cousin not noticing that she’d been bit is not unheard of. A guy that I went to high school with in KY got really sick and went to the doctor. He was laid up in intensive care due to a crazy fever and other issues that they couldn’t figure out. After a week or so, he was in really bad shape and they tested for RMSF. He was positive but couldn’t remember ever being bitten.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread