worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
We have had a pretty descent winter..so far.Monday took a walk along the river late day up here in Mass.,I never knew Great Blue Herons wintered over, looks like he's catching them late rays.

K1600_DSCN2643.JPG

Yesterday I went again in the early morning down the river in Conn.and I was surprised by another heron..

K1600_DSCN2693.JPG

K1600_DSCN2679.JPG

Food has to be real lean pickins for this dude it looks as though he's using his beak as an ice pick.

K1600_DSCN2685.JPG

I really do not like people doing crap like this..

K1600_DSCN2676.JPG

This morning,every morning for that matter Darky and Beggar are always ready for their breakfast..

K1600_DSCN2700.JPG

Beggar gets a little hoggy now and again.:laughing7:

K1600_DSCN2701.JPG

Then he came back for more.

K1600_DSCN2703.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh... With a thread title like that... you just have look.

Wheeew thank goodness. :P

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beggar kind of reminds me of that cousin of Harry Potter, need to zap a piggy's tail on that little guy.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for caring about your neighbors!

Love all the critters around me, we even put all our scraps in a pot on our back porch. Seems the coons dominate. But all our "neighbors" are welcome. The problem/disappointment I feel here is that I've yet to see a squirrel in the 5 years I've been home up the holler. But, so far I've seen a bear the size of a Volkswagen bug out maybe 20 feet from my front door. There was a lynx out my back door, deer in the yard every single day, rabbits - but no squirrels in the 5 years I've been home. Years and years of timbering all around my property = no nut bearing trees anymore.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for caring about your neighbors!

Love all the critters around me, we even put all our scraps in a pot on our back porch. Seems the coons dominate. But all our "neighbors" are welcome. The problem/disappointment I feel here is that I've yet to see a squirrel in the 5 years I've been home up the holler. But, so far I've seen a bear the size of a Volkswagen bug out maybe 20 feet from my front door. There was a lynx out my back door, deer in the yard every single day, rabbits - but no squirrels in the 5 years I've been home. Years and years of timbering all around my property = no nut bearing trees anymore.

Rodger

ALL leftovers(that I don't eat)go out the back door for coons,foxes,possums,skunks,and neighborhood cats oh ya..occasional coyotes and a mother bear and her cub last summer. The more the better.:laughing7:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herons leave here in the winter.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worldtalker, mine go out the back too. I look very carefully when I go outside, cougars, coyotes, bobcats, deer, foxes, opossums (I like them), raccoons and delivery people. You never know what will turn up.

Darky has no friend of like color yet?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like Darky! I miss the albino that used to come to the house. I've got a couple that are hoarders too... they grab everything they can! lol!

Thanks For Sharing!

Kace

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herons leave here in the winter.

Here in Chesapeake Bay, some fly south and some remain during winter. The ones that remain tend to seek out more protected areas during the winter. They can also hunt backyard fish ponds that are kept somewhat ice-free with bubblers, etc. When they learn you keep fish, they can become pests. The solution is to provide hiding places for the fish - sections of PVC pipe work.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Worldtalker, mine go out the back too. I look very carefully when I go outside, cougars, coyotes, bobcats, deer, foxes, opossums (I like them), raccoons and delivery people. You never know what will turn up.

Darky has no friend of like color yet?

I tell the Wife "make sure you check out back before you open that door". I'm hoping Darky mates with one of the grays,he's all by himself.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I really like Darky! I miss the albino that used to come to the house. I've got a couple that are hoarders too... they grab everything they can! lol!

Thanks For Sharing!

Kace

I'm kinda partial to him myself..

K1600_DSCN2592.JPG

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Here in Chesapeake Bay, some fly south and some remain during winter. The ones that remain tend to seek out more protected areas during the winter. They can also hunt backyard fish ponds that are kept somewhat ice-free with bubblers, etc. When they learn you keep fish, they can become pests. The solution is to provide hiding places for the fish - sections of PVC pipe work.

There is a lady I know that had koi,not for long after the herons found out though.:laughing7:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell the Wife "make sure you check out back before you open that door". I'm hoping Darky mates with one of the grays,he's all by himself.

It is still possible for a melanistic squirrel like Darky to produce black offspring with a normally colored gray squirrel - provided the gray squirrel has the recessive gene for melanism.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lady I know that had koi,not for long after the herons found out though.:laughing7:

That's a shame. The solution is to provide hiding places for your fish. Herons are attractive and a popular symbol (they were on the MD Chesapeake license plates) but they are the definitive hosts for some nasty parasites.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think from memory, God help me there, Darky is actually a different species of squirrel. I used to know that stuff decades ago.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think from memory, God help me there, Darky is actually a different species of squirrel. I used to know that stuff decades ago.

The black squirrels we have around here are the same species as gray squirrels. They have both genes for melanism, so the black is expressed. If they mate with a normal color gray that lacks the gene, the offspring will be gray. If they mate with a gray color gray squirrel that has the recessive gene, then their offspring will be black.

Wild Maryland 101: Maryland: Weird and Wonderful - Melanistic Gray Squirrels

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It is still possible for a melanistic squirrel like Darky to produce black offspring with a normally colored gray squirrel - provided the gray squirrel has the recessive gene for melanism.

It would be nice to see a few of his offspring,just have to wait and see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions