tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Friday we got snow most the day, so I didn't go anywhere and stayed home. Yesterday things warmed up and I took the dogs out to a large open space which is 1136 acres surrounded by pretty much all new development. The dogs love the place. There is one large lake and a couple smaller ponds in the park. Ollie stepped out on one of the small ponds and fell through the ice, but it's not deep. At one pond I got to see a male and female Northern Shoveler ducks, which I've not seen before. At the larger lake there were some birders gathered looking through scopes, binoculars and taking photo's of what looked to me like a thousand Canadian geese on the ice, which would be odd for a birder, as they are hot on to any and all rare sightings of bird species in the area, so I asked what's so interesting out there. The guy with the big lens camera showed me an image on his camera of a Pacific Brant Goose. He said it is a very odd sighting, as it's a goose out of it's normal flyway which is up and down the Pacific coast and they are much more commonly seen along coastal shores, rather than in the central region of the continent. I couldn't see the this goose, as it was way on the other side of the lake, but I did see it on his camera with the far-reaching lens. Maybe someday I'll get me one of those set-ups, as this rocky mountain front range flyway does offer some wonderful sightings of many types of migratory birds this time of the year.

Attachments

• walk 011919 1.jpg
    walk 011919 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • walk 011919 2.jpg
    walk 011919 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • walk 011919 3.jpg
    walk 011919 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • walk 011919 4.jpg
    walk 011919 4.jpg
    971.6 KB · Views: 64
  • walk 011919 5.jpg
    walk 011919 5.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
  • walk 011919 6.jpg
    walk 011919 6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • walk 011919 7.jpg
    walk 011919 7.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pictures! ����

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
good pictures, looks nice.

same weather here, bug storm just went through, snow, ice, high temp today is 12.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those pictures of the Shoveler's I have often seen waterfowl in places they do not normally inhabit after a major storm .I fact I always try to check out good waterfowl spots right after a storm ,knowing something will likely show up with the storm . Last winter during a two week period of very bitter cold I saw about a dozen Red Breasted Mergansers . They where a duck I had never seen before

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those pictures of the Shoveler's I have often seen waterfowl in places they do not normally inhabit after a major storm .I fact I always try to check out good waterfowl spots right after a storm ,knowing something will likely show up with the storm . Last winter during a two week period of very bitter cold I saw about a dozen Red Breasted Mergansers . They where a duck I had never seen before
I've noticed that around here after a snow storm I'll see different species of waterfowl outside of the geese and mallards

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures. I have to admit that when I read the title I thought I would see pictures of Yankees shoveling snow!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread