tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pretty busy most of today and the dogs kept looking at me in a way of are we gonna do anything, like maybe a walk? It was after 3pm and I thought okay we can go for a quick go around in the field. All this cold moved in early Monday morning and we were only expecting an inch or two of snow, but it turned out to be a little more and the news played up on it by broadcasting special unscheduled air time covering all the traffic jams and fender benders all up and down the Denver metro for most of Monday morning, it's big news now when it snows I guess and they sure cover every bit about it all these day. It's cold, but dogs just wanna go see what happening outside and sniff everything along the way. We saw the normal prairie dogs all puffed up in the cold, one running coyote and some geese picking though the wheat stubble doing what they can to fatten up on these single digit cold nights. At the cattail slough Bella didn't need to use the log to keep her feet from getting wet as she can walk across it in these temperatures.

Attachments

• walk 012919 2.jpg
    walk 012919 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • walk 012919 3.jpg
    walk 012919 3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
  • walk 012919 4.jpg
    walk 012919 4.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 52
  • walk 012919 5.jpg
    walk 012919 5.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos...Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photos. The coyote is definitely wearing his camouflage.
They're plentiful around our area.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That first picture with the prairie dogs looks like it needs to be at least "R" rated :)

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing...

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first picture with the prairie dogs looks like it needs to be at least "R" rated :)

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing...
Yeah I know. I thought maybe I wouldn't post it, as I thought some would see it in a goofy way.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photos. The coyote is definitely wearing his camouflage.
They're plentiful around our area.
Those coyote are able to ambush at least one or two of the geese as they rest in the fields at night when the lakes and ponds around are completely iced over the geese sleep I guess in the fields? I've seen the pile of feathers every now and then in the fields. There's a show on Nat-geo, called "dead by dawn" that covers that kind of thing that goes on in the wild kingdom. One time at night I heard a flock of geese abrupt in a ruckus at like 11pm out in the field and I figured it was a coyote attacking those resting geese. Also I've heard rabbits screaming every now and then in the middle of the night from being captured by those vermin. That sounds gets my dogs and even the cat all freak out. It's a very uneasy sound, even to me.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, have seen things similar due to the coyotes. Lots of pets have come up missing. I'm thinking at one point the trend to reestablish the coyotes may have actually been way to successful. :BangHead:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, have seen things similar due to the coyotes. Lots of pets have come up missing. I'm thinking at one point the trend to reestablish the coyotes may have actually been way to successful. :BangHead:
I was told by a fish & game fella, that the coyote is one species that has an opposite effect in efforts to eradicate. They found that in attempts to do so has only resulted in an increase of numbers. I guess it's best to just leave em alone and shoot em when you can. With all my travels across the western states I've managed to hit two of them so far with a vehicle. Once on eastbound Utah 6 heading into Price and the other barreling down the big hill southbound on Interstate 17 in Arizona.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great shots Grant, and the one with the four prairie dogs needs only
a caption to make a great meme.

Coyotes are becoming far more common in the midwest, and especially
in the eastern US. The Eastern coyote seems to be of a larger build, and
they're certainly as aggressive as their western cousins.

Amazing how their population has blossomed in the last 40 years. Prior
to the 1980's they were pretty scarce anywhere east of the Mississippi River.

The pale color of the one in your pic is what used to bring the big dollars
in the fur market; it's good to see a healthy one. A depressed fur market
has taken the pressure off of them, and they are rather prolific. I'm always
happy to see one crossing the road, or sitting on the other side of the river.
Unfortunately, the other side of the river is just out of the range of my
300mm zoom lens.

Tried to clean that one up a bit..not sure if I improved it much.

walk 012919 3-2.jpg

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's find a mate season for the coyote in my area. I've seen them right out the back yard recently following people walking their dogs as they go by. Yeah there was an increase in demand for coyote fur after the appearance of Broadway Joe during Superbowl 50. It did offended PETA, but I Joe don't care what others think, but one thing is he's never been seen sitting on his keister, during our national anthem. That pic of that coyote was pretty far off and I didn't think it was worth much in attempt to improve it.

Attachments

• BfzDyjDIIAApiDH.jpg
    BfzDyjDIIAApiDH.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 41

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions