tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little male Hooded Merganser looked like he was sleeping with his head tucked into his back on the shore by the lake, but woke up as I got closer. There were some Mallards very close to this Merganser and compared to them these birds are only about 2/3 the size of a Mallard. The Red Tail Hawk was out in the field behind me and I think it was scoping out the Redwing Blackbirds all gathered on the cattails. I've watched the Coppers Hawks terrorize the Redwings before, so they might be easy to catch, while they're building their nests?. I thought I had a speck on my screen by it's eye, but it's in the photo. Not sure if it's on the hawks eye or something goofy with a pixel in the image?

Attachments

• walk 040419 1.jpg
    walk 040419 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • walk 040419 2.jpg
    walk 040419 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice shots, both! I've never seen a merganser's feet I don't think, They're always swimming. As for that curious light spot, I think the sun just caught the edge of it's eye, and refracted that bright spot. Unusual.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't move real fast to the water, but just waddled slowly in. I've not seen their feet before either, as they're always in the water when I see them here. Probably not very strong on their feet, as they spent most their time in the water or flying to other body's of water. I've read hummingbird's have weak legs, due to them always flying and I've never seen one of them standing on the ground. I've seen them perch, but they don't do it for very long, before they're back up humming around in the air.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions