praying.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 206

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
He/she is trying awful hard to look like that background! I haven't seen any around my place this year. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
wesfrye53 said:
He/she is trying awful hard to look like that background! I haven't seen any around my place this year. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Haven't seen any this year either...I read somewhere that a big one can draw blood if he bit you right.....definitely a cool bug..

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I rescued one from the parking lot at work last year, and you may not believe this but here goes.......he rode on the headrest in the car looking around the whole trip home. He climbed on my hand when we got home and I put him in the flower pot. Evertime you walked up and called Miagie, he would come out and climb on your hand, then ride around on your shoulder or on the top of your hat. We watched him eat many of a bug, really kind of creepy to watch. One day Gary ran a butterfly over in the driveway, it was injured bad, s we gave it to Miagie......

Attachments

• PRAYING MANTIS1.JPG
    PRAYING MANTIS1.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 155

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in Iowa the big ones with the green bellies are female and the males are little and brown. I handle them any chance I get. They don't actually bite people, they strike at you with their front legs. They don't do that to me very often and it doesn't hurt much anyway. When I was a kid I put one in my bug box and it made a hard egg case. I had to freeze it for a while so the eggs would hatch. When they emerged they were so small that they climbed out of the mesh and my mom smashed them thinking they were ants. She realized what they were before killing them all and we released them. Thanks for posting the pictures, I need to snap some for myself.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , they are a cool bug , I think I read somewhere that they are the only insect that can turn their head !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread