Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally managed to get down to Chaffee County and camp yesterday. Way better weather there in the Banana Belt; no snow on the ground, almost 70 in the day and only 35 at night. Looks like a secluded spot, but a small village had sprung up around me in the night. More people will be showing up at places like this that used to not see much traffic, because, all the AHRA campgrounds along the river from north of BV down past Salida have gone to reservation only. All the campsites. Year round. I USED to camp at about 3 of those when I would take the wife or one of the grandkids, and every other place that has reservation sites always has a few first come first served sites, but not AHRA, industrial tourism for front rangers and out of state rafters. KMA.

Attachments

• 4-8a.jpg
    4-8a.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 4-8b.jpg
    4-8b.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 4-8c.jpg
    4-8c.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 4-8d.jpg
    4-8d.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 4-8e.jpg
    4-8e.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 70

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can see for miles!! Gotta love it. Beautiful

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a pretty part of Colorado, glad your getting out before it really gets insane. Great pictures!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful country, Rginn. I camped like that in my youth, just a bedroll on the ground. I don't think I would do it now. Get many uninvited guests in your bag during the night? ( Those with no legs, or many legs ).

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...a nice light way to go. When I go out for just 2 or 3 days, I often do the same, but never at a campground, and I never have a fire....LOL. A single burner propane stove for coffee in the morning, and to heat my canned food in the evening. Still one of my favorite ways to spend time outdoors.
Jim

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that many bugs or snakes up here, Kray. You do have to be alert for bears or mountain lions. Only place I had sort of a problem is at that Radium campground which is infested with ground squirrels. They ran all over me at night and finally I got up and put the bedroll in the back of the truck. When it's just me Jim, I'll camp at established campgrounds in the off-season that have something interesting nearby that I want to check out. (This campground is free, too) Soon fire bans will be on and we won't have campfires, but I got a good Coleman stove. The wife loves it cause even though she's a way better cook than me, she can't cook on an open fire to save her life, haha!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many years ago, while out calling coyotes near Idaho's Silent City of Rocks, I was sleeping in the bed of my little Chevy LUV pickup. There was a small, 1/2" snowfall during the night, and I found a lion had walked right by the front bumper during the night. Not the first time I've had them do that while I was sleeping, but that was the closest.
Jim

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The wife loves it cause even though she's a way better cook than me, she can't cook on an open fire to save her life, haha!

I'm with her! Eh, I might be fibbing to MR WD when I say I can't cook on a fire. LOL!

Beautiful photos, RGINN!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update for Kray Gelder. Last night I was camped along the Colorado at Yarmony. While I was sleeping on the ground, a fox came up and poked me on the shoulder and woke me up. I turned and we were almost nose to nose, staring at each other in the bright moonlight. I didn't know what to say and he didn't have anything to say, so to end an awkward moment I blew in his face and he trotted off.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What side of the river you camping rginn?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Pics! You are braver than me...I even lock the deadbolt on the RV! lol!

It's the two legged animals I am more concerned about sneaking up when I'm sleeping.

Cool story about the fox...While Turkey Hunting in a light rain with my cousin close by with his back leaning against a small tree....I turned my head to look at him and there was a coyote about 3" from the back/side of his head smelling his hat! lol! Cousin never saw him and the coyote just walked away.

Kace

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update for Kray Gelder. Last night I was camped along the Colorado at Yarmony. While I was sleeping on the ground, a fox came up and poked me on the shoulder and woke me up. I turned and we were almost nose to nose, staring at each other in the bright moonlight. I didn't know what to say and he didn't have anything to say, so to end an awkward moment I blew in his face and he trotted off.

Now THAT would scare the crap out of me. Any really unusual animal behavior can be caused by rabies. Bad deal. I had a deer do that to me when I was about 12 years old. Close enough to kiss...LOL. Animals can exhibit some weird behavior when they get used to people.
Jim

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good stories and Beautiful scenery to go along.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What side of the river you camping rginn?
North side TR. That's about half a mile west of Rancho Del Rio where Trough Road crosses over to the north side of the river. Foxes up here are a little more comfortable with people up here, probably cause they associate us with a food source.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking you might be over in that stretch across the old RR tunnels. I see folks camping in there now and back many moons ago I hunted artifacts in that area and there'd be nothing, but me, deer, magpie, camp robbers, coyote and Lucky my blue heeler roaming around in that ground. Ain't nothing anymore like it used to be.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice to know chaffee is dry now. Last time I went and tried to hike it was still knee deep around shavano and we made a short day of it. The road was too deep and slushy to get to my claim but might be ok now.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful place to camp and relax! :occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep eye out for pasquinel..... Miss camping in the mountains. Take more pictures.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking you might be over in that stretch across the old RR tunnels. I see folks camping in there now and back many moons ago I hunted artifacts in that area and there'd be nothing, but me, deer, magpie, camp robbers, coyote and Lucky my blue heeler roaming around in that ground. Ain't nothing anymore like it used to be.
I confused my posts, TR. I was camped at Turtle Rock in Chaffee County on the east side of the Arkansas in these pics. Almost just above those tunnels.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I confused my posts, TR. I was camped at Turtle Rock in Chaffee County on the east side of the Arkansas in these pics. Almost just above those tunnels.
Okay. That area has gotten pretty populated around there in the summer anymore. BV has really benefited from all the activities that folks are heading into around there these days to partake upon. That river running racket was really just beginning in the early 1980s when I lived in the area and it was about that time I first saw a specifically built bicycle for riding in the mountains in Crested Butte. Mining, the industry I chose for a career has become almost non existent in Colorado from those times, I wonder sometimes why I've stuck with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread