tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put over 2300 miles this last week going out as far, as Yerington Nevada. I didn't really have a lot of time to take it slow until today where I did stop and take the last leg of the trip a bit easy. The first pic is the Bonneville Salt Flats, as I head west on the road I've been on so many times in my life Interstate 80. The second is one I took going west on 80 around Rye Patch, Nevada. The place was alive with herds of tumble weeds blowing in the thousands across the desert and over the road. The third is the Toiyabe mountain range, near Austin, NV as I then headed east on Nevada Hwy 50, know as the loneliest highway in the US. It's an early trans continental road that the Pony Express riders used in 1860 to 1861 and was also the route of the early Lincoln Highway that took the first half of the 20th century motorist on out to Sacramento California and San Francisco, before they built I80 to the north of central Nevada and now that's the way most travelers get across Nevada going to northern California. I made a stop at a Uranium mine in LaSal Utah and as I got going out of there heading in to Colorado the snow was really coming down in this fourth pic. The fifth pic, is a place in Colorado called the Paradox Valley and the weather was a big change from no more than 20 miles behind me. The last picture is some really hungry Elk near Placerville, Colorado just gorging on the green grass along the road. I whistled at them in order to get them to look up and they all did only for a second and went back to devouring the fresh grass. They could have cared less that I was there near by.

Attachments

• trip 041219 1.jpg
    trip 041219 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • trip 041219 2.jpg
    trip 041219 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • trip 041219 3.jpg
    trip 041219 3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • trip 041219 4.jpg
    trip 041219 4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
  • trip 041219 5.jpg
    trip 041219 5.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • trip 041219 6.jpg
    trip 041219 6.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 73

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
When I saw that second pic, I instantly thought of this song! LOL!

I really like the elk!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I saw that second pic, I instantly thought of this song! LOL!

I really like the elk!
That song came to mind as I was driving through those drifting tumble weeds. When I saw them blowing across the windy playa I thought it was a herd of something running in a stampede.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After dodging a mule deer or two, those thousands of tumbleweeds can cause some very nerve wracking night time drives! TTC

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd bet those elk are enjoying a little salt on their salad, Grant. Nice pics.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet those elk are enjoying a little salt on their salad, Grant. Nice pics.
Jim
I'll bet your right Jim. They were very undisturbed munching away on that vegetation. I once walked right up to some big horns licking salt on the road. Sadly one got hit, as the road was glare ice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After dodging a mule deer or two, those thousands of tumbleweeds can cause some very nerve wracking night time drives! TTC
Yeah that does put ya on edge. I've been startled before at night by tumble weeds a few times coming at ya from the shadows.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good elk pic. You're getting better, haha!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Breath taking photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember driving through Falstaff when Bullwinkle came out of no where bigger than a horse but driving across country is great

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos of places that I’ll never get to see.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos of places that I’ll never get to see.
In that case go for a drive a back there if you can? I've been twice to Niagara falls. Still got my maid of the mist poncho somewhere around hear I believe? Gotta be some roads less travelled around there I'm thinking. I know that Canadian border crossing isn't one. It took us hours to get through there. I remember seeing a guy lined up in the traffic heading back to the US and he was yelling, cursing, pounding his steering wheel and blowing his horn in such anger because of the holdup crossing back in. That guy was having a major meltdown. When we got stopped going into Canada we had my wife's young nice with us and the border patrol wasn't comfortable with us having her as they needed proof she wasn't being kidnapped or something? They wanted to talk to her parents and they weren't around to answer the phone. My wife called her folks to see if they could locate them and they call others that called around looking for her nieces parents. Finally they returned home from shopping and verified to the border patrol, yes that's our kid and she fine taking trip with her aunt. That took over 2 hours before those BP agents were convinced this little girl was good to go into Canada with us. With all that I do understand how hectic and busy it is back there, but I also believe there's gotta be somewhere to escape to a less quieter place somewhere around you. I'll be praying you find it. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread