139.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a good boy!!!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great dogs! I had one for over 10 years. Still miss ol' Max. He covered my back on many stands when calling lions. I was never concerned when he was behind me. Also a great dog for ruffed grouse, and chukkars.
Jim

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great dogs! I had one for over 10 years. Still miss ol' Max. He covered my back on many stands when calling lions. I was never concerned when he was behind me. Also a great dog for ruffed grouse, and chukkars.
Jim

Calling lions? Mountain lions? Sounds interesting.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Calling lions? Mountain lions? Sounds interesting.

Very nerve-racking when alone, and I almost always was. Always had a stiff neck from trying to see behind me. Pretty scary at times. Especially as it's getting dark, and you'd seen a tawny motion going into the brush in your direction 200 yards away. I've had to get up and leave more than once when the odds looked bad. Like all predator calling, picking the stands is the key.
Jim

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are so quiet. I only saw two in the wild. I had no clue they were near either time. They were just THERE, looking at me, the tip of their tail twitching. One sideways to me, the other facing dead on, above me on a slope. Both were fully upright, and relaxed. Both times, after a stare-down, they got bored and walked away. ( The Selkirks, by the way, early 70's. )

Sounds intense to me, as cats like to come from behind, I hear.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a relative that owns several .They are excellent bird dogs and very good house dogs .It makes sense that they would be a good dog to cover your back when calling mountain loin .They have a great nose

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cyrus is a nice enough looking fellow. He almost looks like his name could be Mr. Scruffy'. Dogs are cool and have a heck of a lot more sense than some people. We have a 3 year old Austrailian Shepherd named Lacy. I believe she is the smartest dog I've ever owned.....but don't tell her that. As I'm typing this on the news was a Golden Retriever holding signs held by a wooden stick in his mouth cheering Boston runners on the side of the road with his owner and pal while wearing a yellow raincoat. It's a sign......litterally.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He does look like a rascal.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a relative that owns several .They are excellent bird dogs and very good house dogs .It makes sense that they would be a good dog to cover your back when calling mountain loin .They have a great nose

Yup...incredible nose. Max could smell chukkars at 400 yards, and I'm not kidding. Almost supernatural.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are so quiet. I only saw two in the wild. I had no clue they were near either time. They were just THERE, looking at me, the tip of their tail twitching. One sideways to me, the other facing dead on, above me on a slope. Both were fully upright, and relaxed. Both times, after a stare-down, they got bored and walked away. ( The Selkirks, by the way, early 70's. )

Sounds intense to me, as cats like to come from behind, I hear.

LOL...I've always thought we're lucky they don't like the taste of humans. Very few attacks on people, and mostly by either really young lions, or old, feeble lions. If you get grabbed by a mature 150 lb lion, in good health, you're in really big trouble. But, I've spent a huge portion of my recreation time in lion country, and lions are way down the list of dangers I worry about. I've only seen two I didn't call in.
Jim

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Very nerve-racking when alone, and I almost always was. Always had a stiff neck from trying to see behind me. Pretty scary at times. Especially as it's getting dark, and you'd seen a tawny motion going into the brush in your direction 200 yards away. I've had to get up and leave more than once when the odds looked bad. Like all predator calling, picking the stands is the key.
Jim
I have an electronic call with a wireless remote that works up to a hundred yards away.....I've tried it a couple of time in an area where lions have killed deer, but no success. I had it setup maybe 30 yards away, so didn't feel as nervous.....I know a guy that was blowing a cow call for elk and had a cougar jump on his back....The cat was as surprised he was and ran away.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an electronic call with a wireless remote that works up to a hundred yards away.....I've tried it a couple of time in an area where lions have killed deer, but no success. I had it setup maybe 30 yards away, so didn't feel as nervous.....I know a guy that was blowing a cow call for elk and had a cougar jump on his back....The cat was as surprised he was and ran away.

You may not have seen them but it is certainly possible they where there .I know nothing about mountain lions but have had plenty of other wildlife appear without the slightest bit of sound .Like they came up out of the ground .All cats are known for their ability move quietly and blend in to the backround

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The electronic calls are definitely safer, Ron, but I'm sort of a purist when it comes to predator calling....matching my calling skills and cunning against the critters, so I've avoided the auto-calls.
Any time you're acting like a prey animal, when predators are around, you have to be really alert. I was bugling for elk, while bowhunting one time, and had two bears show up. That got a bit exciting for an hour or so...LOL
Jim

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very friendly dog...look at his smile! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread