Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Nice dog.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2007
    Idaho
    3799 times

Nice dog.

Met this feller and his owner near Kamiah, ID yesterday morning. His name is Cyrus, and sometimes " Bonehead "....He's a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200AUTO.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	1703350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013Gamma.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	1703351  
    Last edited by ronwoodcraft; Apr 16, 2019 at 07:00 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    3705 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    What a good boy!!!
    devldog and ronwoodcraft like this.

us
    Nov 2005
    In my RV, where ever it may stop!
    Whites MXT
    218 times
    Looks like he went to a stylist and had his head dyed brown!
    devldog and Kray Gelder like this.
    if not flyfishing - TH'ing, if not TH'ing - flyfishing
    Whites MXT

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2970 times
    Prospecting
    Great dogs! I had one for over 10 years. Still miss ol' Max. He covered my back on many stands when calling lions. I was never concerned when he was behind me. Also a great dog for ruffed grouse, and chukkars.
    Jim

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4504 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    Great dogs! I had one for over 10 years. Still miss ol' Max. He covered my back on many stands when calling lions. I was never concerned when he was behind me. Also a great dog for ruffed grouse, and chukkars.
    Jim
    Calling lions? Mountain lions? Sounds interesting.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2970 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Calling lions? Mountain lions? Sounds interesting.
    Very nerve-racking when alone, and I almost always was. Always had a stiff neck from trying to see behind me. Pretty scary at times. Especially as it's getting dark, and you'd seen a tawny motion going into the brush in your direction 200 yards away. I've had to get up and leave more than once when the odds looked bad. Like all predator calling, picking the stands is the key.
    Jim

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    4504 times
    Metal Detecting
    They are so quiet. I only saw two in the wild. I had no clue they were near either time. They were just THERE, looking at me, the tip of their tail twitching. One sideways to me, the other facing dead on, above me on a slope. Both were fully upright, and relaxed. Both times, after a stare-down, they got bored and walked away. ( The Selkirks, by the way, early 70's. )

Sounds intense to me, as cats like to come from behind, I hear.
    ronwoodcraft and devldog like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Jul 2017
    North of the Mason Dixon line
    White 5900DiPro
    657 times
    I have a relative that owns several .They are excellent bird dogs and very good house dogs .It makes sense that they would be a good dog to cover your back when calling mountain loin .They have a great nose

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    2540 times
    Relic Hunting
    Cyrus is a nice enough looking fellow. He almost looks like his name could be Mr. Scruffy'. Dogs are cool and have a heck of a lot more sense than some people. We have a 3 year old Austrailian Shepherd named Lacy. I believe she is the smartest dog I've ever owned.....but don't tell her that. As I'm typing this on the news was a Golden Retriever holding signs held by a wooden stick in his mouth cheering Boston runners on the side of the road with his owner and pal while wearing a yellow raincoat. It's a sign......litterally.
    Last edited by devldog; Apr 16, 2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Jim in Idaho and ronwoodcraft like this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    16441 times
    He does look like a rascal.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    2970 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by glass half fool View Post
    I have a relative that owns several .They are excellent bird dogs and very good house dogs .It makes sense that they would be a good dog to cover your back when calling mountain loin .They have a great nose
    Yup...incredible nose. Max could smell chukkars at 400 yards, and I'm not kidding. Almost supernatural.
    Jim
    ronwoodcraft and devldog like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    2970 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    They are so quiet. I only saw two in the wild. I had no clue they were near either time. They were just THERE, looking at me, the tip of their tail twitching. One sideways to me, the other facing dead on, above me on a slope. Both were fully upright, and relaxed. Both times, after a stare-down, they got bored and walked away. ( The Selkirks, by the way, early 70's. )

Sounds intense to me, as cats like to come from behind, I hear.
    LOL...I've always thought we're lucky they don't like the taste of humans. Very few attacks on people, and mostly by either really young lions, or old, feeble lions. If you get grabbed by a mature 150 lb lion, in good health, you're in really big trouble. But, I've spent a huge portion of my recreation time in lion country, and lions are way down the list of dangers I worry about. I've only seen two I didn't call in.
    Jim
    devldog likes this.

us
    Jul 2007
    Idaho
    3799 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    Very nerve-racking when alone, and I almost always was. Always had a stiff neck from trying to see behind me. Pretty scary at times. Especially as it's getting dark, and you'd seen a tawny motion going into the brush in your direction 200 yards away. I've had to get up and leave more than once when the odds looked bad. Like all predator calling, picking the stands is the key.
    Jim
    I have an electronic call with a wireless remote that works up to a hundred yards away.....I've tried it a couple of time in an area where lions have killed deer, but no success. I had it setup maybe 30 yards away, so didn't feel as nervous.....I know a guy that was blowing a cow call for elk and had a cougar jump on his back....The cat was as surprised he was and ran away.
    devldog and Jim in Idaho like this.

us
    Jul 2017
    North of the Mason Dixon line
    White 5900DiPro
    657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwoodcraft View Post
    I have an electronic call with a wireless remote that works up to a hundred yards away.....I've tried it a couple of time in an area where lions have killed deer, but no success. I had it setup maybe 30 yards away, so didn't feel as nervous.....I know a guy that was blowing a cow call for elk and had a cougar jump on his back....The cat was as surprised he was and ran away.
    You may not have seen them but it is certainly possible they where there .I know nothing about mountain lions but have had plenty of other wildlife appear without the slightest bit of sound .Like they came up out of the ground .All cats are known for their ability move quietly and blend in to the backround
    Last edited by glass half fool; Apr 16, 2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    2970 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwoodcraft View Post
    The electronic calls are definitely safer, Ron, but I'm sort of a purist when it comes to predator calling....matching my calling skills and cunning against the critters, so I've avoided the auto-calls.
    Any time you're acting like a prey animal, when predators are around, you have to be really alert. I was bugling for elk, while bowhunting one time, and had two bears show up. That got a bit exciting for an hour or so...LOL
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links