Canoeing.........midwest style.......( eight pics )

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
.................one of our family's other fun things to do ( besides detecting ) is canoe the small rivers here in the midwest. I bought 3 aluminum canoes recently & had the local vocational school welding class build me a canoe trailer.

So........here are my kids earlier this spring near some whitewater looking & catching some crawdads:

IM002689.jpg

One section of this river had an old bridge with the pier in the center of the river. In 1997, the river was 8-9 over the street level of that bridge. It was the largest flooding ever recorded there in history. You can see what happens during the winter floods:

IM002657.jpg

Yep, the debris builds up sooo much, one can hardly canoe around it. In fact, this year you can only get around the right side of it in the picture.
We usually split up with my wife & older son in one canoe & my younger daughter & me in another. You can see why I get her. She's a real help with the paddling part.........( look ahead, we are always behind ! LOL )

canoe007.jpg

Here's my son getting in a little whitewater & dodging the branches at the same time:

canoe006.jpg

OK, OK, after several miles, they are ready to get out again. Here is the family "hunting" for the crawdads 4 miles from the nearest road in the middle of nowhere:

canoe005.jpg

Here's another pic of the two of us. This section of the river is narrow but 7-8 feet deep. Great place to "flip" canoes which happen several times that day.

canoe008.jpg

For a little while.......we switched partners & you can see it's funny watching my bride & daughter in action. Here they are "stuck" on a snag in the center of the river:

47b6db27b3127cce88b3eb08772e0000001.jpg

Lifetime of memories, my friends......lifetime of memories.....

The dog you see lying under the truck followed us for 3 miles down the river on the riverbank. He even swam across the river at the take out point to be with us.
Here are the 2 canoes on the chase truck ready to go back to the trailer which is 7 miles upstream.

vatrip012.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics..........see ya mark

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great pics. Thanks for taking us along with your. You have a great looking family. I remember when my family used to take canoe trips too. Seems like a lifetime ago.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
GREAT PICS MAKE SURE YOUR CHECK THEM GRAVELBARS FOR ARROWHEADS.

Attachments

• indexCAOI96BE.jpg
    indexCAOI96BE.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 364
  • indexCAOI96BE.jpg
    indexCAOI96BE.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 371

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread