RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look at this lil' gem I found 5 miles from my house! This dates to the late 1700's, and I am currently trying to get permission to detect it.

DSC_0781.jpg

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0772.jpg

Hand hewn sandstone chimney.

DSC_0777.jpg

Just look at those logs!

DSC_0771.jpg

Wow. Just wow.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck , that would be a great hunt.

IMO
That would be a good place for an Old Widowed Relic Hunter who likes his privacy to live out his last years.

I'd need a good storage unit tho .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner!

Among the other construction features , the notching is superb.
Hewn timbers on four sides were/(are) a luxury. Required more labor , but ladies did not mind flat walls inside. Regional effect/tradition turns up hewn vs round semi round logs.
Some areas there were particular cultures doing chimbly work. Or at least affecting it's design.
Curious if your find's chimbly has an iron lintel...

Generous windows may have been an upgrade to original , but regardless , quite a well built home.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A craftsman built that one to last...and it did. Hopefully they had two dimes to rub together.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A craftsman built that one to last...and it did. Hopefully they had two dimes to rub together.

Someone had enough to add a tin roof eventually generations later probably. The door and casing too maybe.
Chimbly does not extend above the roof enough for simple ones to draw well....But flue design matters much also. Could be missing it's/some top material though.

No addition added to main/original structure. Saving labor in materials and building , but not expanding human laborers by increasing family size till main room was too small. Though folks did crowd into structures where necessary too.

Not being broke from a big family ....Maybe the site could have afforded a coin lost.... :dontknow:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. I've been researching my ancestors and found my 5th grandad Anthony Sr. Brandenburg, which is the name I've been passed down to, may have been the first Brandenburg to enter into the territory of Kentucky. It was in Harrodsburg, he joined up as a common soldier around April 1779 there under the command of Col. John Bowman in a campaign against the Indians. I found online a transcript of his appearance in court in Ohio held in 1833 to determined whether or not he was eligible to receive a pension as a revolutionary war veteran. In his own words and with testimony of neighbors and a clergyman vouching that he was a man of honest character, he convinced the court that he was in fact a soldier of that time, but on each campaign he served he was never given any written discharge. In his court case, he describes pretty much to the T an engagement from what I found was the Battle of Chillicothe in the Ohio territory. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chillicothe He lived his life out in Warren county Ohio and though his son Henry Harrison Brandenburg I came. I can only picture that a log home like that is what my early American ancestors would maybe have lived in. That old structure is something that should be preserved. So many of them here in Colorado I've watched slowly crumble to the ground over the last 40+ years of living here. Great imagine that old cabin makes.

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you have success getting permission!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome place to hunt and possible live in for a get-away cabin. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions