I'm so sad about my Happy Place (warning: pic overload)

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That was an awful day for sure. I am sorry your property took a beating. As you know our property was hit too! I'm sick about our tree.

I was going to post the Keebler tree. I think I have a thread on that, too. If you got a pic of the way it looks after the tornado, post it. Or , I can tonight if you want.

Last edited:

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a real bummer about the property damage, sorry to hear. Might be able to recoup some of the loss selling firewood and do some clean up at the same time? Looks like a lot of hardwood trees got downed. In the area where I live we have massive wildfires that destroy the landscape. It takes generations for the old growth to return.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunt the place with vengence before the weeds and chiggers are unleashed. Glad you and family are ok.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought were similar to releventchair.

Good to read yourselves and your dwelling are intact.
A force of nature that won't tolerate resistance....

A flush of second growth and stuff out of the seed bank will take off with the opened up tree canopy.
For all it's not looking good , the critters will benefit from more browse and cover shortly.

Hang in there!

I was thinking like you .

First , I'm so glad Y'all were OK & had little material damage.

As for your land it will recover even if you leave many of the fallen trees in place , I'd likely try to uncover the creek area , maybe somebody will cut the felled trees for pulp-wood or to make lumber. For Free ???

I do hate to see such old Tree (Friends) snapped & up-rooted it happened just like that in my Hood in Nov 1993 , we had a couple trees fall between my house and another , some were leveled just a few hundred yards away.
My trail to my buddy's house that consisted of mostly 40-60 feet tall along with tall deciduous trees, was completely blocked it took me 45 min to make a former 5 min walk .

The area in the following years / decade I was /am amazed just how fast the area recovered , the Tulip Popular's really sprung up along with the Long Leaf pines , Dog Wood's thrived .

Now that area look's almost like it did back then....' a cycle in nature '.

Also there are areas I pass when driving up I- 75 when F-4 's went through in 2012 (I think ) ; there are a couple mile wide swaths of "Mowed" forest that I pass through , now some 7+ years later has 15-20 foot trees growing along with the Briar's & other sun loving types of plants that in future decades will be shaded into mulch ( if left undeveloped / doubtful IMO).

There is not much y'all can do about the damage now so try to enjoy watching the area & it's wildlife recover .

It's crazy & strange to think that just 150 years ago most of Atlanta & the Metro that has 100 + year old trees were farmland , that confirms that our lives are lived like a 'Shooting Star' in the big scheme of time.

Again i'm glad y'all are OK & wish you & yours a wonderful Summer.
Davey :thumbsup:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt the place with vengence before the weeds and chiggers are unleashed. Glad you and family are ok.

At-least the Root-balls , I always make sure I check them out .

= P3210919.JPG , P3210914.JPG .

Sis , before you know it the Deer & other Critters will make you some new trails.
Gd

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a real bummer about the property damage, sorry to hear. Might be able to recoup some of the loss selling firewood and do some clean up at the same time? Looks like a lot of hardwood trees got downed. In the area where I live we have massive wildfires that destroy the landscape. It takes generations for the old growth to return.

I’m not sure what we are going to do with the wood. Every time hubby goes back there, he gets all upset.
I guess no matter where one lives, there’s a possibility of some natural disaster or another.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
At-least the Root-balls , I always make sure I check them out .

= View attachment 1722583 , View attachment 1722584 .

Sis , before you know it the Deer & other Critters will make you some new trails.
Gd

I have checked a few of the root balls. The only thing I have uncovered is in the pics, unless you want to count the one with a fence post. :BangHead:

The “trails” were for 4 wheelers. Mr WD has been working on them ever since we bought the property. Every year maintaining the ones we have and every once in a while, creating new ones. That’s why he’s so upset about it all. And BuckIdgr has the same issues. We all rode each other’s trails. I guess now we have to clear each other’s.
Thanks, Davers! I hope you and your family have a great summer, also!

~Sis

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not happy police brutality

Top Member Reactions