I'm so sad about my Happy Place (warning: pic overload)

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
First and foremost, PTL we were not injured or killed and PTL we had minor damage to our house and barn. I know we were very much protected on Memorial Day night. As most of you have probably heard, 15 confirmed tornado touchdowns happened in Ohio that night. One of those went right along the north property line of our farm. In September 2017 I posted a thread on here which you may look at for comparison, if you wish:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-daily-snapshot/553320-my-happy-place.html

I went out last night to see if I could get down to it. It's trashed. Absolutely trashed! This was my favorite place to go on the farm. Now I just want to throw up. Here's the mess:

These are from the trail that leads to my happy place.
no happy1.JPG

no happy2.JPG

no happy3.JPG

no happy4.JPG

no happy5.JPG

no happy6.JPG

no happy7.JPG

no happy8.JPG

no happy9.JPG

Believe it or not, there is a creek under these trees.

no happy11.JPG

no happy12.JPG

This is the spot where there used to be a bridge at some time. (Refer to 2017 thread)
no happy13.JPG Close up

no happy14.JPG zoomed out

no happy15.JPG Do you see the bark is stripped off? I learned that this is an indicator for categorizing a tornado. Because of these stripped trees in the area, ours went from an F2 to an official F3 in the books.

no happy16.JPG Here's the creek!

no happy17.JPG Then, off the side of the old road, I see this up-turned tree and something caught my eye. Do you see it?

no happy18.JPG Let me zoom in.

no happy24.JPG I don't know what it was. I guess a salt shaker or something.

no happy19.JPG I looked around and found a piece of a dish.

no happy23.JPG This trade mark for W H Grindley & Co was used between 1914 and 1925.

no happy20.JPG I looked some more and my heart jumped! Unfortunately, they were broken. Smashed by the roots I suspect.

no happy21.JPG I dug all this out trying to get to the bottles. There were 3 bottles (all broken) in there. And all of this is lying on a piece of wood from like a box or drawer or something. Lots of rusty pieces.

no happy22.JPG All of this came from the side where the porcelain pieces were found.

So off I go. I wanted to see if my favorite fence structure survived.

no happy25.JPG

no happy26.JPG Barely. You can see a comparison on the 2017 thread.

no happy27.JPG I went back to the tree and something caught my eye.

no happy28.JPG Looky there! Another piece of pottery. I tell ya, I got a lot of puzzle pieces!

These are shots towards the big creek. I can't even see it any more. I have no idea how I am going to get to it.
no happy29.JPG

no happy30.JPG

no happy10.JPG

Hug your wife, husband, kids, grandkids, parents, whoever, and tell them that you love them. No one is guaranteed their next breath.

Thanks for looking!

~Sis

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your little paradise really took a beating! Wow, what a mess. I feel for you, that will take some labor to clean up. Glad it missed your dwellings, and you're all OK.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....looks like the aftermath of Irma. You guys were pretty lucky.....glad it wasn't any worse. At least you found some clues about the farm.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those things are wicked. The town I lived in 1974 got hit and boy it blew box cars off the tracks. There was pretty severe damage out of it all, sucking the roofs off of buildings and completely leveling homes. I started driving a dump truck thst night back and forth to a landfill that being loaded by a front end loader with destroyed buildings my boss owned. I did that till the sun came up and later the National Guard came with these massive rubber tire forklifts and they were dropping big sections of buildings in the bed of the truck and off I'd go. I think I did that until I could hardly keep my eyes open and the boss said go get some rest. I did that and got up and started tramming debris all over again. People really get with the program of clean up when something like that happens.Peoples Weather Map

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
So lucky Sis. Had it started to drop earlier or form earlier ...................:dontknow:
Like everyone said, glad you and your family are ok.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got some newer ground to hunt. When tornados go thru us here in Oklahoma I go out and look for those uprooted trees. Good source of fun in the midst of destruction. Thanking God you are okay.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry to hear what happened to you guys. Wish we could all come down there and help clean it up! Glad everyone is ok. We don't need any more bad weather this year!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to read yourselves and your dwelling are intact.
A force of nature that won't tolerate resistance....

A flush of second growth and stuff out of the seed bank will take off with the opened up tree canopy.
For all it's not looking good , the critters will benefit from more browse and cover shortly.

Hang in there!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So sorry to hear about the damage to your farm property. The Good news is that you and your family are all ok. As bad as things sometimes seem, they could have been worse. I'm glad as I'm sure that y'all are that they weren't.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That place was hit hard, glad you are OK! :icon_thumleft:

May God Bless!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The place will survive and even grow. Life is resilient. You are alive and well. You are resilient. Dwell not on the destruction but begin the construction. Old is continually renewed. Be strong! Keep us informed on the progress. Tnx for the documentation pics. Terry

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its always gonna be something with you isn’t it joe?

( insert final scene from joe versus the volcano here)

Your loved ones are fine, you lost nothing that matters

You now have firewood, for the best evenings are always around a nice wood fire outside as the sun goes down

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Your little paradise really took a beating! Wow, what a mess. I feel for you, that will take some labor to clean up. Glad it missed your dwellings, and you're all OK.

Yes, it is a mess. Probably going to let nature take it's course for the most part and just concentrate on clearing the trails. Thank you, yes, we were very fortunate.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow....looks like the aftermath of Irma. You guys were pretty lucky.....glad it wasn't any worse. At least you found some clues about the farm.

Well, I highly doubt that I will find any after the fact treasures like you do, but yes I do have clues!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Those things are wicked. The town I lived in 1974 got hit and boy it blew box cars off the tracks. There was pretty severe damage out of it all, sucking the roofs off of buildings and completely leveling homes. I started driving a dump truck thst night back and forth to a landfill that being loaded by a front end loader with destroyed buildings my boss owned. I did that till the sun came up and later the National Guard came with these massive rubber tire forklifts and they were dropping big sections of buildings in the bed of the truck and off I'd go. I think I did that until I could hardly keep my eyes open and the boss said go get some rest. I did that and got up and started tramming debris all over again. People really get with the program of clean up when something like that happens.Peoples Weather Map

There's a lot to clean up after these monstrous storms, that's for sure. Here's a drone footage clip of some of the worst of it.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
So lucky Sis. Had it started to drop earlier or form earlier ...................:dontknow:
Like everyone said, glad you and your family are ok.

Thanks, Simon. In this particular case it would be more like, " had we built our house on the northern knoll instead of the southern low land."

But, yeah, you just can't predict these things.

Thank you.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you got some newer ground to hunt. When tornados go thru us here in Oklahoma I go out and look for those uprooted trees. Good source of fun in the midst of destruction. Thanking God you are okay.

I was thinking that, too. I probably never would have found that stuff had that tree not been uprooted.
Thank you.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
So sorry to hear what happened to you guys. Wish we could all come down there and help clean it up! Glad everyone is ok. We don't need any more bad weather this year!

Thank you, SD. You are right, this mid section of the states has gotten hammered this spring. Enough already.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to read yourselves and your dwelling are intact.
A force of nature that won't tolerate resistance....

A flush of second growth and stuff out of the seed bank will take off with the opened up tree canopy.
For all it's not looking good , the critters will benefit from more browse and cover shortly.

Hang in there!

Thank you, RC. I hope that opened up canopy brings more paw paws!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions