WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
When MR WD was mowing the other day, he came across these two guys/gals, one of each, IDK. He wanted to pick one up to show how big they are, but they weren't having it. I think they were every bit as big as my fist. They are well fed. He spied one out under the barn light having a feast.

When I shared pics with someone else, they asked if they were Bufo or Cane? Well, IDK that either! They said that the slime could be poisonous to dogs/cats. I don't have either of those, but I do have little grandkids. So any information would be appreciated!

toad1A.JPG

toad2.JPG

toad1.JPG

toadhouse.JPG

Thanks for looking!

~Sis

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American or Red Toad, if from the Eastern US. Do not eat. They are not poisonous to touch. Not venomous. My kids used to catch them. They would go out in spring and sit still in the middle of the driveway. The would ball up their first and sooner or later a near sighted male would spot the fist and misidentify as a lady friend and come over for a date. The one day they went overboard and I caught 21 in the house and had to take them back outside.

Any toad or frog has salmonella with it and if your pet eats it, it's time to go call the vet, they'll probably have a barf' n' puken' session, but I don't think its fatal.

Best control your pets.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the "poisonous" part is the two large glands on the back of the neck. They secrete a milky white substance when pinched or disturbed(animal biting)that is no good in the mouth or eyes. Other than that no worries, spent hours catching hundreds of these and gardner snakes as a kid.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all kinds of reptiles and amphibians, and have caught many of these toads. The only problem picking them up is they almost always pee on one.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all kinds of reptiles and amphibians, and have caught many of these toads. The only problem picking them up is they almost always pee on one.

Hahaha - yes they do!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they almost always have the pee scared out of them!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American or Red Toad, if from the Eastern US. Do not eat. They are not poisonous to touch. Not venomous. My kids used to catch them. They would go out in spring and sit still in the middle of the driveway. The would ball up their first and sooner or later a near sighted male would spot the fist and misidentify as a lady friend and come over for a date. The one day they went overboard and I caught 21 in the house and had to take them back outside.

Any toad or frog has salmonella with it and if your pet eats it, it's time to go call the vet, they'll probably have a barf' n' puken' session, but I don't think its fatal.

Best control your pets.

My cats always left toads alone. Of course, our cats have been dedicated skink hunters. When they went outdoors (not anymore), the skinks around the house all had little stubby regrown tails, having lost their original tails to the cats.

Toads are good for a garden.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

And parents were fond of telling us kids if the toads peed on us we'd get warts.

Of course we got peed on regular by toads. Most of us probably had warts too...

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Defend yourself man..pee back.:laughing7::laughing9:

funny story on how I let a rambunctious pitt bull know he was not in control of my house.... every time he came over and peed on my bush or house I walked up right behind him and followed suit. At first all it did was piss him off. Eventually after the 6th or 7th time he started to understand, and would listen and take commands from me when over at my house lol.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Our dog tried a couple of times to eat one. He spit it out right away, and then tried to get the taste out of his mouth for some time. Now when he sees one, he'll get a sniff and leave it be.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Colorado they have the right-of-way.

Attachments

• trip 091918 3.jpg
    trip 091918 3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe cane toads are tropical

I know it’s a good year for toad reproduction, I must have 300k baby toads in my yard

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Bufo toad can kill a dog as we have lost 3 dogs over my lifetime to them. One dog did it 3 times and barely made it through each time. They are a problem here in south Florida.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cane toads are in the Pacific, Australia, and Bufo in the deep south. Here we just have the "pee on you" kind.

My one cat, well, a stink bug meandered over one day, they were bad here a few years ago, and he leaned over to sniff it. I have never seen a cat do dry heaves before. It was hysterical.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember long ago kids were licking toads to catch a buzz don't know if they still do

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I dare say, I didn't expect this to kick off so much talk. Cool. I broke down and researched myself. I still am not sure of what they were, but I think they are
Eastern American Toad, Bufo americanus americanus
american_toad.jpg

Bufo seems to be short for the Family Bufonidae - The "True" Toads

This is the Cane toad:

cane-toad-1354017.jpg

Scientific Name:
Rhinella marina (Linnaeus, 1758); formerly Bufo marinus (ITIS)
Common Name:
Cane toad, Giant toad, Marine toad, Giant marine toad, South American cane toad, Dominican toad, spring chicken (Belize)
Photo:
Cane toad, adult - Photo by U.S. Geological Survey

Native To: South America, Central America, Mexico, and extreme southern Texas (NAS Database)

Date of U.S. Introduction: First introduced to Florida by 1936 (NAS Database)

Means of Introduction: Originally introduced to control sugar cane pests; has also been accidentally and intentionally released by animal importers, zoos, and laboratories (NAS Database)

Impact: Preys on and competes with native species; highly toxic to predators (including pets) (NAS Database)

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
And parents were fond of telling us kids if the toads peed on us we'd get warts.

Of course we got peed on regular by toads. Most of us probably had warts too...

Defend yourself man..pee back.:laughing7::laughing9:

Yeah, pee back!

funny story on how I let a rambunctious pitt bull know he was not in control of my house.... every time he came over and peed on my bush or house I walked up right behind him and followed suit. At first all it did was piss him off. Eventually after the 6th or 7th time he started to understand, and would listen and take commands from me when over at my house lol.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe cane toads are tropical

I know it’s a good year for toad reproduction, I must have 300k baby toads in my yard

With all the rain we have had, I am not surprised. It seems as though the Great Black Swamp has expanded immensely: toads, frogs, mosquitos, gnats, biting flies, black stinking mud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread