Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a bear cub behind it

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few years ago, One of our cats caught a vole, and before he could finish it off, a couple of magpies started tag-teaming him to take the vole away. It was hilarious watching the action. One magpie would sneak in and grab his tail, while the other waited to get the vole when he went after the first. That went on for about 15 minutes before the vole made its escape.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, One of our cats caught a vole, and before he could finish it off, a couple of magpies started tag-teaming him to take the vole away. It was hilarious watching the action. One magpie would sneak in and grab his tail, while the other waited to get the vole when he went after the first. That went on for about 15 minutes before the vole made its escape.
Jim
That would be fun to watch. Magpie around here don't come in the housing areas all that much. They hangout in the open spaces and along the creeks. Some though have got McDonald's and Burger King as a good place to score a meal.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They nest in my crabapple trees every year, Grant. Mostly, I enjoy having them around, but occasionally they can be a pain in the ----. I caught a group of seven or eight of them killing a young dove one time. I managed to save the dove. Looked like a gang mugging somebody.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They nest in my crabapple trees every year, Grant. Mostly, I enjoy having them around, but occasionally they can be a pain in the ----. I caught a group of seven or eight of them killing a young dove one time. I managed to save the dove. Looked like a gang mugging somebody.
Jim
Well if it a been a Eurasian dove I would have let them have their way with it. Those evasive doves chase all the other birds away from the bird feeders by swooping in with open wings and making a screeching sound, which I think mimics a bird of prey coming in for an assault. It freaks all the other birds out and they all fly away for their lives by that action of those Eurasian doves. Many states have no bag limits or season on them and you can kill as many as you can all year long. There's even some recipes online on how to cook em.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd need to import more magpies to handle those darned things. How in heck did there get to be so many of them? Ought to be shooting them, and using the meat to feed the poor....LOL
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about tossing bird feed out front of my grape vines and then hide behind the other side of the grapes and when they swoop in scaring off the other birds, pick em off with a pellet rifle.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Must have been fun to watch. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions