Baby diamondback.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This little guy diamondback is less than a foot long. He was too close to the RV spot so he had to go. He has not yet shed his skin, evident by only the bud on the tail. For those not "in the know", the rattles accumulate every time a rattlesnake sheds its skin..... one rattle per shed. How many rattles he has is NOT a way to tell its age... only how many times it may have shed its skin.
DSC01144.JPG ╦╦C

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you're holding it in your hand? Was it stoned?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, cute snake. Your finger would probably need to shed it's skin after the little guy nips it and it swells up like a tube of Jimmy Dean. Good to see you bonding with the local wildlife.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pic shows some injuries to the snake that were likely the cause of death. Personally, I would have caught it with a snake stick or net and moved it. I don't recommend handling them.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They bite even after death. Something to do with muscle memory...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was shedding but I couldn't see the pic correctly.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy Crap Terry!

Holy crap...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Young venomous snakes are worse than mature ones. Will dump their whole load during a bite... they don’t know yet that they can let go. And yes they bite after death... muscle memory.

Around here, if we have to kill one, we chop the head off and bury it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pic shows some injuries to the snake that were likely the cause of death. Personally, I would have caught it with a snake stick or net and moved it. I don't recommend handling them.

I probably would have just moved it, too..but then again we weren't
there to make that decision. He felt it was a threat, and took
appropriate action.

Providing the snake was absolutely, positively, undeniably deceased,
I *might* hold it in my hand. Terry's no fool, nor is he a greenhorn,
so if he felt comfortable holding that snake (while aware of the dangers),
it's fine by me.

Snake looks almost like it's digesting a meal.

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out here, buzzworms are common. I keep a short-barreled 20 gauge loaded with #4's near the door. Its my snake charmer. When I'm out riding I carry a .357 loaded with two .38 special Glazer shot shells clocked to fire first then the .357 hollow points.
I don't do snake.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I probably would have just moved it, too..but then again we weren't
there to make that decision. He felt it was a threat, and took
appropriate action.

Providing the snake was absolutely, positively, undeniably deceased,
I *might* hold it in my hand. Terry's no fool, nor is he a greenhorn,
so if he felt comfortable holding that snake (while aware of the dangers),
it's fine by me.

Snake looks almost like it's digesting a meal.
He was VERY dead when I picked him up..... hours after we killed him. See the injuries in two places. Can still cause injury no doubt. And, yes, I've been around this stuff long enough to know what could happen if not careful. I would not have had his head in my hand had he been full grown. ╦╦C

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was out in the desert years ago in the early morning. Snake was coiled on a flat rock and camouflaged perfectly. Came within two feet when it started to rattle. I jumped back immediately. When I go in the desert now I make noise so they know I’m coming and hopefully move away!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PeteyGirl and I just found mama! PeteyGirl asked me to shoot the pack rat she expected to run out from under the air conditioner but this diamondback came out instead. We can assume no pack rat lives here anymore!

Those of you that follow my posts know I don't shoot these critters in the wild. But here at the house, they gotta go. ╦╦C

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know some people fear snakes to the point of hysteria. My sister is insane with fear when it comes to snakes. I never kill them if it's possible to remove & relocate. Whenever possible do not kill snakes as they are #1 in keeping nasty rodents under control. Lot's of big Diamond Backs here in Fl.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know some people fear snakes to the point of hysteria. My sister is insane with fear when it comes to snakes. I never kill them if it's possible to remove & relocate. Whenever possible do not kill snakes as they are #1 in keeping nasty rodents under control. Lot's of big Diamond Backs here in Fl.
If you follow my posts, then you know I don't kill rattlesnakes either unless they have taken up residency around the house/RV. My dog Buster and one of the cats were killed by rattlers this year... within 100 yards of the house. Away from the house, they all get a pass. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions