Them Elks are purty quick!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Imagine if you will calmy sitting in the woods enjoying the day when a 900 pound bull comes walking on up. This is a Roosevelt Elk, the largest of the subspecies in North America. Bulls have been recorded up to 1300 pounds. They stand 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall at the shoulder and can be 8 to 10 feet long. Only species of deer that is larger is the Moose. These guys can really tear up the woods! Strange thing is, a massive critter like this, even with a HUGE rack can disappear into the thick brush in a second, and a few seconds later, you hear nothing.

elk1.jpg

For their weight and size, they are surprising nimble and quick, when they want to be. Try turning 900 pounds on a dime sometime, not an easy task! Pretty easy for this guy when he hears a camera shutter!

elk2.jpg

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic pics....awesome animals..and delicious too... ;)

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
OH thank goodness !!!!!! He was turning and running away !!!!!! For a second I was just admiring the pic > got to the second one and screamed !! I thought he had been shot :'( next time I will read first !! Great pictures of a magnificent animal ;D

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Noodle said:
Trail cam? Great shots! Nimble, aren't they. -Noodle

I don't know, I got these shots in an e-mail from a guy at work. This is the area Dad and I are gonna hunt next week.

Mainedigger said:
Fantastic pics....awesome animals..and delicious too... ;)

Hmmmm... you ain't kidding! :)

CarolinaDigs said:
OH thank goodness !!!!!! He was turning and running away !!!!!! For a second I was just admiring the pic > got to the second one and screamed !! I thought he had been shot :'( next time I will read first !! Great pictures of a magnificent animal ;D

CD, I respect this view, truly they ARE magnificent creatures. They're also very, very tasty and my freezer is very, very empty. Unfortunately right now we have an overabundance of Elk and Deer in this state and the predators are getting HUGE in numbers. I'll try for a bull, but you can't eat horns anyways so a cow would do just fine.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
gorgeous shots! I really miss having elk in the freezer! They are sure great to watch too!!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photo's Jeffro,A friend of my Dad's bagged the state record Elk in PA. a few years back and i saw the head and rack,musta weighed a ton alone ! Elk is on my wish list to see in the wild ! Onea these day's. ;D Good luck on your hunt,hope you bag the big daddy !

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great pics Jeffro. Thanks for sharing. I have never eaten elk. Does it taste as good as venison???. I know bear that I had one time was pretty tasty.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro...good luck on your hunt next week...hope you fill your freezer up with elk meat.. ;D I've never hunted them..mainly because there aren;t any here in Maine... ;D Saw a program about them and the first time I heard one bugle it was eerie...glad I wasn;t out in the woods when I first heard it for it would have made my hair stand on ends.... ;D
It is amazing how an animal with that size rack breezes thru the brush and saplings without getting hung up on everything... ???

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
RON (PA) said:
Great pics Jeffro. Thanks for sharing. I have never eaten elk. Does it taste as good as venison???. I know bear that I had one time was pretty tasty.

It's much better... less gamey. Think along the lines of a cross between venison and cow.

Mainedigger said:
Jeffro...good luck on your hunt next week...hope you fill your freezer up with elk meat.. ;D I've never hunted them..mainly because there aren;t any here in Maine... ;D Saw a program about them and the first time I heard one bugle it was eerie...glad I wasn;t out in the woods when I first heard it for it would have made my hair stand on ends.... ;D
It is amazing how an animal with that size rack breezes thru the brush and saplings without getting hung up on everything... ???

http://www.nps.gov/archive/wica/Sounds/Elk_Bugling.wav

Cynangyl said:
gorgeous shots! I really miss having elk in the freezer! They are sure great to watch too!!

These shots came from kinda your neck of the woods, Cyn. The Desolation unit down below Ukiah. Well OK, not really your neck of the woods, but closer to you than me! ;)

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro..thanks for the WAV...cool bugling, but now that I know what it is it isnt; as eeirie...but not knowing what it was the first time was Very eerie... and am glad I was in my living room, not deep in the woods the first time I heard it.... ;D

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
My first taste of Elk was TRUE Rocky Mountain Oysters.... believe it or not they were damn good!

I know, a lot of people think thats gross, but you have no idea! An Indian friend of my Dads, Samir, cooked them up in a stew just hours after downing my first one.

Seems like stews are the way to go with elk, at least the bit parts. Save the steaks and back for home. ;D

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
Seems like stews are the way to go with elk, at least the bit parts. Save the steaks and back for home. ;D

Don;t forget about sausage....I;ve had alot of that and it is delicious and is a great way to utilize all the scrap bits of meat. Hamburg is good too, but like deer and moose meat, it is very lean and unless you add some beef fat to it, it tends to be very dry.

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Getting a Garrett ACE 250 Real Soon
I guess that is one of the great bennifits of living in the Pacific NW. We have Roosevelts. Not only are they the largest, but I think that they are the smartest. They know when hunting season starts, and when it does they tend to dissapear.

I Love the two pictures. they are such beautiful and majestic animals.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I have ever eaten elk that I know of. Got some Cajun kinfolks that do elk hunting, so not a bit of telling I've probably had eaten some. But, I can cook up an awesome tasting venison roast.

Nice pics...thanks for sharing with us.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions