Rio Gualcarque
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By YumaMarc
  • 1 Post By Mekong Mike
  • 1 Post By Kray Gelder
  • 2 Post By YumaMarc
  • 1 Post By Kray Gelder
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering

Thread: Rio Gualcarque

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    hn
    Dec 2004
    White's MXT Minelab Quattro Fisher F2
    665 times
    Metal Detecting

Rio Gualcarque

Rio Gualcarque, Intibucá, Honduras. There is an ongoing dispute between the traditional land-owners, the Rio Blanco Lenca/Maya, and the Honduran government over rights to this river gorge. This dispute caused the assassination of Berta Cáceres and several others of COPINH for their efforts to protect the rights of the Lenca.

This is a photo of the gorge during low water season, finished as oil. Intibucá is one of the most remote and beautiful parts of Honduras.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rio Gualcarque.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	1770224
    "I'm a wagged, wugged wover of the wild and wooly west.
    Of all the things I haven't got, I like GOLD the best!"
    Elmer Fudd

us
    Jul 2013
    Vietnam, Saigon
    471 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Do any gold panning in the river?
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    hn
    Dec 2004
    665 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekong Mike View Post
    Do any gold panning in the river?
    No, I haven't tried panning in this river. It's very remote and not easy to get to. Also, it's a sacred area to the Rio Blanco Lenca/Maya so their permission would be needed. They are very friendly to visitors, but I don't know how they would feel about gold panning.
    Elmer Fudd

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7736 times
    Metal Detecting
    Beautiful photo! Judging from the size of the boulders, that river really rips at times.
    A2coins likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    hn
    Dec 2004
    665 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Beautiful photo! Judging from the size of the boulders, that river really rips at times.
    The water flow is the whole reason for the dispute between the Lenca and the Honduran government. There is a proposed hydroelectric dam project called Agua Zarca that would inundate the entire gorge and flood many Lenca from their homes. The Chinese were a major backer in the construction until recently, when they pulled out after a number of assassinations. Just within the last couple weeks another leader of COPINH was killed. A lot of money stands to be made, and the Lenca are standing in the way of greedy pockets.

This photo, un-doctored, is taken from the trail above on the way down to the river. To give some perspective on how large some of these boulders are, there's a pyramid-shaped boulder at center right. Look closely with the photo zoomed to full size, and you may see a man apparently fishing from the top. There are boulders larger than houses, and some are well water-worn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gualcarque.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	1770849
    Elmer Fudd

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    7736 times
    Metal Detecting
    WOW! That really put things in perspective. Impressive. The earth would be shaking with those boulders rolling down river. I hope they don't drown another river.
    A2coins likes this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    29002 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Thank you for sharing!
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    32106 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Wow wish I had places that nice near me

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 324 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Sponsored Links