YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rio Gualcarque, Intibucá, Honduras. There is an ongoing dispute between the traditional land-owners, the Rio Blanco Lenca/Maya, and the Honduran government over rights to this river gorge. This dispute caused the assassination of Berta Cáceres and several others of COPINH for their efforts to protect the rights of the Lenca.

This is a photo of the gorge during low water season, finished as oil. Intibucá is one of the most remote and beautiful parts of Honduras.

Rio Gualcarque.jpg

OP
OP
YumaMarc

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do any gold panning in the river?

No, I haven't tried panning in this river. It's very remote and not easy to get to. Also, it's a sacred area to the Rio Blanco Lenca/Maya so their permission would be needed. They are very friendly to visitors, but I don't know how they would feel about gold panning.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful photo! Judging from the size of the boulders, that river really rips at times.

OP
OP
YumaMarc

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful photo! Judging from the size of the boulders, that river really rips at times.

The water flow is the whole reason for the dispute between the Lenca and the Honduran government. There is a proposed hydroelectric dam project called Agua Zarca that would inundate the entire gorge and flood many Lenca from their homes. The Chinese were a major backer in the construction until recently, when they pulled out after a number of assassinations. Just within the last couple weeks another leader of COPINH was killed. A lot of money stands to be made, and the Lenca are standing in the way of greedy pockets.

This photo, un-doctored, is taken from the trail above on the way down to the river. To give some perspective on how large some of these boulders are, there's a pyramid-shaped boulder at center right. Look closely with the photo zoomed to full size, and you may see a man apparently fishing from the top. There are boulders larger than houses, and some are well water-worn.

Gualcarque.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! That really put things in perspective. Impressive. The earth would be shaking with those boulders rolling down river. I hope they don't drown another river.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting