tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think these squirrels, sleep when the snow on the ground is to deep to go from tree to tree. We had a bomb cyclone, as that's the new definition of a winter storm or snow storm come through and I hadn't seen my buddies for a maybe a week now, but yesterday as I was coming down my street as they know my truck and run along side of it on the shoveled sidewalks and head for my cottonwood in the front yard to present themselves in hopes of a meal. Man they were in for a big surprise this time, as there's a lot of pecans leftover that didn't get used in the Thanksgiving pecan pie and sweet potatoes. Sometimes I'll even give a few bucks to the panhandlers that hang around at the road that goes into Walmart. It's good to be a little charitable from time to time don't you think?

Attachments

• thumbnail_72D905C2FF914D7D9A6CE2CB5213D9A5.jpg
    thumbnail_72D905C2FF914D7D9A6CE2CB5213D9A5.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to shoot them. I remember once when I was, maybe 13 years old coming out of the woods with a couple of squirrels I just knocked off. And there was an old farmer out on the road waiting for me. He asked me how I did and I said only got me two. He could see I had my Marlin single shot 22 and said, well did ya shoot em in the eye. I said No. He said, you ain't worth a crap, unless you shoot em in the eye. I guess I felt a little dumb about not being so good enough to shoot em in the eye. After that he just drove off. I often wondered why that old timer sat out there waiting for me to come out of the sticks, just to insult at me.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to shoot them. I remember once when I was, maybe 13 years old coming out of the woods with a couple of squirrels I just knocked off. And there was an old farmer out on the road waiting for me. He asked me how I did and I said only got me two. He could see I had my Marlin single shot 22 and said, well did ya shoot em in the eye. I said No. He said, you ain't worth a crap, unless you shoot em in the eye. I guess I felt a little dumb about not being so good enough to shoot em in the eye. After that he just drove off. I often wondered why that old timer sat out there waiting for me to come out of the sticks, just to insult at me.

The preferred shot is, "in one eye and out the other",.....

Known as "threading the needle"

Did more than my share of squirrel hunting in Louisiana.
Where only block heads used a shotgun to hunt squirrels.

Got a pic of this one at a local park after Thanksgiving.

squirrel Tree.jpg

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The preferred shot is, "in one eye and out the other",.....

Known as "threading the needle"

Did more than my share of squirrel hunting in Louisiana.
Where only block heads used a shotgun to hunt squirrels.

Got a pic of this one at a local park after Thanksgiving.

View attachment 1777073
Well when I was a young Davy Crockett I just preferred to shoot em dead.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is my philosophy, shoot the critter in the head and there is less meat wasted. I never did much squirrel hunting, I was more of a rabbit hunter. I don't hunt them until after a good hard freeze and a decent amount of snow on the ground. Any rabbits with health problems usually die off and the healthy and edible ones remain. I got my Marlin 22, Model 60 back long ago and still have and use it. That gun sure is accurate.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is my philosophy, shoot the critter in the head and there is less meat wasted. I never did much squirrel hunting, I was more of a rabbit hunter. I don't hunt them until after a good hard freeze and a decent amount of snow on the ground. Any rabbits with health problems usually die off and the healthy and edible ones remain. I got my Marlin 22, Model 60 back long ago and still have and use it. That gun sure is accurate.
I sold my 22. I got it for Christmas maybe 1968-69 ?. I shot most of the rabbits I ever hunted with a Steven's bolt action 20 gage, but that's because I was also hunting bob-whites and pheasant walking the fields of Iowa. Sometimes I'd have a little of all three bagged. I could clean up around here hunting rabbits, but I'd have to use a wrist rocket. One of my customers who was a mine manager, got deathly sick cleaning rabbits. He had a cut on his hand and some kind of nasty germ, parasite or whatever got into his bloodstream. Whatever it was he had to be hospitalized for some time and could have died had he not been treated I heard.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They like your home cooked meals lol

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunted rabbits and squirrels as a kid and if a pheasant took off I would shoot at it. My mother was the best at cooking game and I have fond memories of her making up a rabbit or squirrel supper. I could never shoot anything now as I've turned into critter lover! I feed squirrels & birds and have cats! Oh well. I used a single shot 22 and as I look back was a hell of a shot. I still like shooting but now just paper targets. Squirrels eat right out of my hand so call me a wimp, I love my critters. 20191123_112504.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
He is waiting for a treat! :icon_thumleft:

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my 22. I got it for Christmas maybe 1968-69 ?. I shot most of the rabbits I ever hunted with a Steven's bolt action 20 gage, but that's because I was also hunting bob-whites and pheasant walking the fields of Iowa. Sometimes I'd have a little of all three bagged. I could clean up around here hunting rabbits, but I'd have to use a wrist rocket. One of my customers who was a mine manager, got deathly sick cleaning rabbits. He had a cut on his hand and some kind of nasty germ, parasite or whatever got into his bloodstream. Whatever it was he had to be hospitalized for some time and could have died had he not been treated I heard.

It was Tularemia that is what the rabbit had we learned to only kill rabbits in a month with and R in it to avoid limited contact with that sickness.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted rabbits and squirrels as a kid and if a pheasant took off I would shoot at it. My mother was the best at cooking game and I have fond memories of her making up a rabbit or squirrel supper. I could never shoot anything now as I've turned into critter lover! I feed squirrels & birds and have cats! Oh well. I used a single shot 22 and as I look back was a hell of a shot. I still like shooting but now just paper targets. Squirrels eat right out of my hand so call me a wimp, I love my critters. View attachment 1777383
Yeah I like having these critters around also. I've had them eating out of my hand also, but then someone wrote of their experience, I believe on this site how the squirrel took the tip of his finger for a peanut and I'm not sure I need a squirrel sinking his chiseled teeth into my finger and try to tug it from me. Also the kids around here might try to hand feed one and attempted to grab it. Now I just wedge nuts into the bark and they just grab and go, saying I'll see ya again in heaven.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was Tularemia that is what the rabbit had we learned to only kill rabbits in a month with and R in it to avoid limited contact with that sickness.
Yep, that was the philosophy I was told. Any month with an R, but still I think I'd exclude all but, Dec, Jan and Feb. It's still hot in September and November around here, with barely any days below freezing.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pet squirrel when I was young. I found him in the road before his eyes even opened near a female, likely his mother, that had been struck by a car. I took that tiny squirrel home and everybody said he'd never make it, but I nursed him back to health with some peanut butter diluted into watered down milk, then into chicken stock and he thrived. His eyes opened a day later and I guess he viewed me as his mother because he would not leave me when I tried to release him once he reached a size to release. He traveled on my shoulder everywhere. He would eat nuts on my shoulder until satisfied, then "bury" the next one in my ear. He was terrified of the woods and the loud screeches of bluejays. They are intelligent and inquisitive creatures and I could never bring myself to shoot or eat one again. Years later, on a research expedition, I did share a meal of a squirrel cooked on an open fire with two other starving biologists. I admit the morsel of meat tasted good to someone who hadn't had a meal in a few days.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I like having these critters around also. I've had them eating out of my hand also, but then someone wrote of their experience, I believe on this site how the squirrel took the tip of his finger for a peanut and I'm not sure I need a squirrel sinking his chiseled teeth into my finger and try to tug it from me. Also the kids around here might try to hand feed one and attempted to grab it. Now I just wedge nuts into the bark and they just grab and go, saying I'll see ya again in heaven.

K1600_jidkkyt7x3u01.JPG

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Pic.. I've got an Albino...It's white anyway showing up a few days a week. I hope she stays. I like watching them too.

Thanks for sharing and Meg I liked your story too!

Kace

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a couple of pictures, the park and market.

squ 6.jpg

The biggest bag of walnuts I've ever seen.

walnuts.jpg

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fellow worker found a baby flying squirrel and raised it up. It would sit on his shoulder and was very tame. He was sad yesterday as he found it dead in it's cage. He said it was old age as it was nearly 10 years old.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow worker found a baby flying squirrel and raised it up. It would sit on his shoulder and was very tame. He was sad yesterday as he found it dead in it's cage. He said it was old age as it was nearly 10 years old.

Ten years is old age for a squirrel. My gray squirrel lived 6 years and would have lived longer if not for a neighborhood dog that grabbed and shook him. He was entertaining out of town guests who tossed peanuts for him when the neighborhood dog pounced. That poor squirrel shrieked loudly and the dog released him at about the same time that I scooped him up. But he had spinal damage and had to be euthanized. And I blamed myself.

He's been gone for almost 50 years but I think about that squirrel every Christmas. I would let him play in the Christmas tree when my parents were out at parties. Now we have cats. My wife decorated our first Christmas tree with beautiful little bird ornaments, some with bright feathers. I just smiled and said nothing. The two cats really enjoyed them.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Pic.. I've got an Albino...It's white anyway showing up a few days a week. I hope she stays. I like watching them too.

Thanks for sharing and Meg I liked your story too!

Kace

Those are true albinos too, beautiful with their pink eyes. I always wonder how they can avoid predators. There are black "melanistic" ones too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread